clutch fluid problem...

stephens89sc

ok well for some odd reason my car is loosing clutch fluid, after i go for a drive it goes down about a 1/4 inch in the resvouir, so then i fill it back up and it does the same thign again, its not leaking out the bottom cause i dont have any wetness on the tranny or engine anywhere....... where the hell could it be going???????????

i dont get this

the only thign that mught be related is that when i had my motor out , my freinds came over and were pushing the clutch untill i smacked them and made them stop, and as far as i know thats bad when there is no clutch hooked up.

so then when i instaleld the motor and new clutch i had to bleed the system cause all the air went in , so i did that and now the clutch works fine ..... the weird thign is that for the first like 2 days the clutch fluid didnt leak, now it does..... could there still be air in the lines and its just pullin more in ? cause ive gone through about 300ml of the dot 3 hydraulic brake fluid and it still seems to be doin it...... the only other weird thing is that everytime i drive the car the clutch seems to let out at a different place lol like sometimes it lets out at the normal area and sometimes its right at the top, but the clutch always grabs good... i dont get this :confused:

My SC does the same thing. I don't find any fluid either. I think it's because brake fluid is ether based and it evaporates quickly. I've even stuck my finger all around the inside of the inspection port on the bellhousing and I can't feel fluid.

It can only be leaking in one of three places: The master cylinder attached to the brake pedal, the hydraulic lines from the reservoir to the master cylinder and from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder, or the slave cylinder.

I suspect mine is the slave cylinder and I have one on order from ford. I suspect yours is the slave cylinder also.

Check inside where the master cylinder rod goes through the firewall and see if you find leaking fluid there. If you do, you know it's the master cylinder....otherwise, probably the slave.

clutch fluid

hate to say it but both of your slave cylinder are leaking and its only a matter of time before they go completely. had the same problem and kept putting more and more fluid in until it wouldnt go into gear anymore. art

If your "friend" was pressing the pedal without the hose connected to the slave, they may have blown the Master cylinder. Possibly the master is leaking and you don't see it because it is leaking inside the car and the fluid is being soaked up by the carpet.

Had a similar problem and found the fluid was leaking out of the cap on the fluid reservour (sp?) It was cracked around the top and would open up when I tightened it but would close when I took it off so it was not easy to spot.

Slave cylinder problem

marrart said:
hate to say it but both of your slave cylinder are leaking and its only a matter of time before they go completely. had the same problem and kept putting more and more fluid in until it wouldnt go into gear anymore. art

I have the same problem as the other guys were talking about. I was told that repairing my slave cylinder would cost around the low $300 range. Is this a reasonable cost to repair the slave cylinder? I don't know what is involved with removing and replacing the components. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
Joe 717-336-7930

You can get a new slave cylinder for $90 but you have to remove the transmission. The slave is bolted onto the transmission inside the bellhousing.

acgjoe said:
I have the same problem as the other guys were talking about. I was told that repairing my slave cylinder would cost around the low $300 range. Is this a reasonable cost to repair the slave cylinder? I don't know what is involved with removing and replacing the components. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
Joe 717-336-7930

Back