Open ended Lug nuts vs. Closed???

Deep6

Hey all.

Really quick, I just recently got 17" rims and tires (pics will be out in a few weeks) and when I ordered them up from discoutn tire direct I got a set of Gorilla Locking lug nuts. The first order I specifically requested open ended lugs despite the salesman's protests that it wouldn't "look good". My reasoning was due to "passing tech" if I ever went drag/autoX/Road Racing.

Well, to make a long story short, one of my tires had excessive road force and they sent me a new one free of charge, they also reimbursed me for the 2nd balancing I had to have done to the other 3 tires. I also broke the lug key and stripped out one of the lug nuts. As a consolation, they sent me a brand new lug set. But the difference here is the new set is closed end lugs.

Will it make a difference if I was to try and take it to a track? I am running 5.5mm spacers too and that might get track officials to want to see the lugs... or am I being overly Anal?

yes. My bird has closed lugs stock, and the official didn't even touch them, just checked to see I had 5 nuts on. the guy in front of me failed becase he was missing one lug nut (3 out of 4).

Allright then....

I won't stress it. If the track officials won't make issue out of it, I shouldn't either.

Back