White Faced Gauge install

jc91sc

HOW DO YOU GET THESE DAM-MED NEEDLES OFF WITHOUT BREAKING THEM????? I've been working with them for over an hour and am scared that I may break one. I have a needle tool, small needle nose pliers, a flathead, and a prybar( that I may just beat them to death with. HELP PLEASE!! AdrenalineTuning@excite.com

Special Tool Needed

HEHEHEHE!!!!

The "Special Tool" is a desert fork. Slide it under the needle, be sure to put something between the face and the fork so you don't scratch it - paper towel worked for me. Gentle rock the fork pulling upward at the same time till the needle pops off. Remember, or mark, which needle goes on which gauge and be sure to note it's start location before you pop them off.

When taking off the faces, be gentle. The tach has three phillips head screws and tiny nuts you can remove with a jewelers screw driver or #0 phillips. This removes the mechanism.

To remove the faces from the housings, pry up a corner of the face and breath on the glue to heat it up and loosen it. Pull up slowly and you won't tear the face.

I have found a nifty trick to color the needles too. Get some clear colored film - I used red and install it at the center of the gauge. If you look at the housing, you will notice a faceted area around the center. Cover it with the film, leaving small hole for the needle to go back on. When you turn your lights on, the needles will reflect the color you have chosen. No painting needed.

To install the needles, push them onto their respective pins. Don't animal them or you will bend/break them. Install the gauges into the housing and test them for accuracy before you close up the gauge cluster.

Gool luck.

Mark
'93 SC

another trick to getting the needles dif colors

While you have the cluster out look at the back where the light bulbs are. I replaced the 5 bulbs for the cluster needles with red bulbs. Now I have the indeglo gages with the blue numbers and red needles. I think it looks pretty sharp. I know another guy that did blue bulbs. Just another idea.

JC, Nice pic of that new Tbird!!
MSG is right, definately put a paper towel underside of the desert fork..you wont be happy scratching up your guages

Back