SC problems

sc problems

Started out with an intermittent stumble & loss of tach. Changed cam sensor. 3 days later still had a stumble every now & then, plus dying. Replaced crank sensor. This was all advice I got from an engineer I work with & this is his car. He got the information off this site. Car ran great for 3 min. until he punched it, everything went to crap. Won't idle, I've checked the cam & crank sensor for led pulse, everything OK. Checking wiring to eca, module, coil pack, etc.

Also checked crank position @ 26 atdc & cam sensor vane was in the right position. No timing chain jump as far as i know.

Last edited:
Well...given you are OK and I am in PA my DIS System Tester is not going to be any help. I take it you read for codes already? If not do so but this is sounding like a bad DIS Module to me from what you related. If you chose to change it make sure you use heat sink grease when mounting the new DIS Module. Another thing to check is the block grounds just incase you have not done that yet as well.

block grounds

I'm a GM tech. Waiting on manuals I bought on E-Bay. Otc Tools & Techniques. What has Ford done on these SC'S as far as grounding goes. Motor mounts?

You've checked the wiring between the crank and cam sensor to the ECU and everything checked OK? How about between the ECU and the DIS? Everything OK there?
Now between the DIS and the coilpack. Does this wiring check out OK?
How about the coilpack itself? Does it check OK?
If all this checks OK then the DIS is suspect.

EDIT: I forgot to tell you to make sure the block grounds are connected like Duffy suggested earlier.

Last edited:
wiring

Will check wiring from DIS to ECA in the morning. Thanks for the help, you sound like you know what your talking about!

DIS

Found a great diagnostic flow chart on the site. Checked everything out and the Dis is the Culprit. Same as 3 year's ago.
Gas in the oil do to injector's not shutting down while fire does.
Also found 10 gauge ground wire from neg. cable to body had 39 ohms resistance, not good. But from the Neg. post to block was ok @ .7 ohms. Have to order cable. Repaired grounds, changed oil & away we go!! Can't believe plugs didn't foul!!
Thanks for all your help. Bill Case

Last edited:
The damn thing died again today. I didn't know if Ford Had a Relearn Process like Gm but I thought i'd take it out for a test drive again. Went gas it and bam tach went to zero, got out shook & checked wires got inside & it started. Got home, left it in drive, emergency brake on & let it idle for ten minutes idled perfect. turned the key off for 20 sec. & now it won't restart.
This really sucks!

sc problems / ing. switch

Just got home from work, good old evening shift. Checked codes 212 & got on comp. In the morning I'll check for voltage to module, pcm, etc. Where are these grounds on these SC's other than battery to block some guy's are talking about?

Back