How Many of you guys store your SC in the winter?

Jeff Bratton

Let me say, I for one do not because it is my daily driver but I'm thinking about it though.

Also where do you store it.... your Garage or a storage unit?

Thanks guys...
Jeff B.

I always store mine. No rust thus far and no need to start. I usually store mine in my gayrage(so i can work on winter projects) but I'm debating this year on renting out a storage unit for her. Storage+cover over car= car stays as clean as possible.

I store mine during the winters
but always outdoors--I have no garage space
I got a good cover for car and seperate wheel covers
always wax heavy b4 hand--add fuel stabilizer and i plug mine into an on board battery maintainer--also keep the tires and car off ground if possible--also a box of moth balls will the keep the creepy crawling critters out
g/l Josh

For the last 4 winters, I haven't been able to store my 'Bird but I plan to this winter. My intention is to rent a storage unit since my mom won't let me use the garage. I could store it at my grandparents, but then it's an hour away if I want go get it. The main advantage to storing at my grandparents is that it would be free or close to it. Advantage to the storage unit is that it will be close for those freak nice days that come once every 6 weeks so I can get it out.

Although, I plan to drive my 'Bird during the winter - my main goal is to keep it out of the snow. We'll see what happens. In Nebraska, if you don't like the weather - just wait 5 minutes, it'll change :D

-Andy "Melon"

I store my sc in my garage with a car cover on it all winter then take it out in late april. It always snows here in pa atleast 2 times in april thats why I wait till the end of april to drive it.

I store mine on the driveway for the winter. I go out and start it up every week and let it heat up until it reaches operating temperature. If it's nice enough out, (ie. dry road), I'll take it for a spin around the block to work the brakes and clutch. I also make sure I cycle my A/C compressor.

I store bolth of mine in the garage all winter....Really they are stored all summer too. I put 2000 miles on the 94 this year but most of them were back and forth to St Louis twice which is 600 miles round trip.
I put 4 thousand or so on the 95 but I drove it to Carlisle 1400 miles plus, STL once and once to Springfield 400 miles round trip.

i also heard it is a good idea to put something on the clutch pedal to disengage it so it does not rust to the flywheel?

is this true?

im putting my bird away NOV. 1st

I think that might damage or lead to premature wear out of the clutch springs and also put alot of pressure on the hydraulics for an excessive period
my 2 cents

Here's what you need to do Jeff

I cryogenically freeze my car. I rent the equipment, turn off the heat in the garage and freeze it right there in the garage. Then, by May, for the World Ford Challenge, it's about ready to take to the show. It usually gets a good wash when it's thawing out and I just wipe it down before I head out to the show. So far, everything has held up surprisingly well.

Last edited:
Hey nettlesd that is really interesting. Wont freezing the car hold moisture? Or is it a dry ice? Can you give more details on this procedure. Thanks.

Picture of Nettlesd garage

broken_water_pipe.jpg

Duane's Garage....

Hey Looks like you may have a little bit of space there to garage my SC.... can you please? :D :p

BTW....Does your wife know about this mess? :D I'lll think of trying it.

That was GOOD Gary!

This will be the first time I store my SC. I've only stopped driving it for a week and I'm having withdrawl. This winter is going to kill me! :(
I'm kinda lucky that I have a garage to put her in. Its getting re-insulated this fall so it should stay warmish in there. Not that it ever gets cold here anyway.
Before I store her I'm going to put on two coats of wax, add fuel stabilizer and jack her up. I've heard that its good to start up the engine and run it every few weeks. But run it for a few hours so there isn't any condensation buildup? Is this true? And what are some other storage tips? I've heard about adding baking soda to the interior to absorb moisture so mold doesn't grow as wel.

When you start it up, make sure you cycle your A/C compressor to keep it lubed. :)
You can either turn on the air conditioning, or just put it on defrost and the A/C compressor will cycle automatically.

I store it at my shop all winter and when Im not driving it during the rest of the year. Since that where I do all the work on it and have all the equipment I need to do my projects on it.

Back