Anyone just running a resonator and pipes

Tbirdsc Colonel

I was just wonder how loud/stupid sounding it would be if I took off my mufflers. I have a straight through magneflow resonator. Just wanting opinions

I have this set-up.....

I have the set-up and its' LOUD!!!! Of course I have a bigger, lumpier cam, and that helps that, it's still loud though. I would suggest leaving the mufflers of putting on a set of Magnaflows for a better sound.

Don

Don - your running just a Magnaflow resonator, two cats, and then no mufflers? I've been debating about that setup on my 'Bird since it's all factory 1991 exhaust so it probably wouldn't hurt if it was replaced.

I'm curious as to the sound as well. I know Rod (racecougar) is running cats and Magnaflow resonator and his sounded really nice - but his is a splitport V6, not an SC. We'll see what happens with mine when I get it done.

-Andy "Melon"

I ran the SCP down tubes, high flow cats from summit, magnaflow res from SCP, and SCP Cat back with no mufflers, and the sound is amazing. I got tons of compliments on it. My car was a 5 speed. It has been my favorite exhaust I have heard on an SC.

sound

i have stock cats and a magnaflow muffler and i get looks all the time i have a low rumble and it sounds like a gt mustang i like the sound alot

I'm running a magnaflow res and cats only on my 94 5 speed, it sounds good but a little too loud for me.

When my exhaust was stock I had the mufflers removed and it sounded good.

Then I added the terminator res and it was a bit louder but about the same tone.

When I added the Carsound cats and the new down tubes it got louder and the tone improved also.

It doesn’t wake the neighbors or get me into any trouble with the cops.

Basically I think you will like the sound if not you can always add muffs later.

I have that same set-up too. Stock manifolds, stock cats, magnaflow res, and no mufflers. Inside, the magnaflow is quiter than with the stock res. Not to much louder on the outside, but you can hear the thing now(before when I would race autocross with stock res, you couldn't hear the car out on the track). I like this set-up, but the stange thing is it changes pitch alittle only wile under boost.

Thanks
Shane

sc marine-
ive had totally stock exhaust
ive had stock res and cats, no mufflers
ive had stock res, no cats and no mufflers
and i now i have high flow 2.5" cats, magnaflow res and no mufflers (SCP style without mufflers, which i dont think sounds that great) and my cars NEVER sounded like a gt mustang.

how is it that yours does??

Tbird Colonel, no mufflers will make you car louder, it wont be obnoxious like it would be if you were to remove you cats too, but you might like it, might not. i definately want mufflers on my car, its not a deep enough sound for me. i dont like it very much, although it is the best sound ive heard from an sc, im not happy.
maybe its because ive always compared it to my brothers supercharged 5.9L dakota r/t. that thing had the low, deep v8 sound with the high pitched whine of a blower, sounded AMAZING!

I had my stock res replaced with a magnaflow res and cut off the mufflers and it sounded pretty quiet (bit louder) w/ the stock cats on. When I removed the cats there was a big difference in sound (sounded a lot louder and better imo).

mustang sound

maybe becuse my engine after motor work is a 241 instead of a just the 3.8 i had it board out .30 over cam flated the pistons head work all that so that may have a part in it ?

I have a full port and polish, 30 over bore, ported heads, kooks mid length headers, no cats, a terminator resonator, And im about to take of the mufflers and MINE doesnt sound like a mustang, thats not including the fact that im blowin way more boost through it than stock, that will make it louder, but not a gt:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

lessonintorque said:
I have a full port and polish, 30 over bore, ported heads, kooks mid length headers, no cats, a terminator resonator, And im about to take of the mufflers and MINE doesnt sound like a mustang, thats not including the fact that im blowin way more boost (and alot of other mods i just dont feel like going through the list) through it than stock, that will make it louder, but not a gt:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

Well, mine sounds like...

Well, mine sounds good with the following exhaust (on 91 SC), Stock ported manifolds, High flow cats, Terminator resonator, 2.5 inch pipes to 3" to 2.5 to Dynomax Super Turbo's. This was nice sounding and have gotten many compliments on it.

My 95 SC is just Mid length headers, high flow cats, magnaflow resonator (dual in-dual out) and straight pipes. This is a little loud and it sounds nice. Around 2000 rpm, the exhaust is REAL drone-miser. Above this, it's great. Loud, and great. If you are going to be driving with a women (like a wife or Girlfriend), go with option #1. My other half was pissed because she got a headache from the exhaust note.

My advice would be, go to exhaust show, have the cats, resonator put in and listen to it. If too loud, put mufflers on.

Good luck....

Don

Back