Transmission leaks ATTN Mike38sc or any who knows

stocker 89

Hey When I put My long block back in . Not sure If I did everything right. I have no experience a at this sort of thing.

When I pulled the old engine the tork converter came off and inner tranmission shaft the smallest one came out.
I had already taken the pan off and drained out all the fluid.

OK So I put the tranmission pan on didn't change seal . I also took off the fill tube the O ring was worn. just stuck it back in for now did not bolt it to block did not replace O ring yet.
So I go to hook up TRANNY AND MOTOR. I put the inner shaftback in tranny then put a quart of mercon in and put tork converter
on. This is where I get foggy cause I don't really know what I am doing . Are there any seals I should have replaced or any other things I should have done while I had the converter off? The tork converter went on real good I pushed it on and turned it back and forth Pushed it in as far as it would go. Tightend it to the flywheel. There doesn't seem to be any clanking when the car is running. There was a clanking before I tightend it down from the flywheel smacking aginst the coverter studs. I got it as square I could.

Then dumped in 6 quarts in just till I get it up and running.... Well now that it will run but don't idle yet there seems to be a tranny fliud leaking probably lost a couple quarts so far just from starting it up.

So any advice would be good . Where Is the pump seal? How does the converter fill up ? I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TRANNIES. I need to put a new pan seal in and filter in also gonna do the in line filter. Need to also put a o ring on fill tube and bolt it down. That is about all I know to do GONNA Do THIS early next week start tomorrow .

What else should be done ? What is the best fill procedure? I got some time to While I am firguring out my vac idle problems. Want to have my 89 AOD road ready so I can roll when it is all good. any advice and tips would be aperciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Well the front seal on the tranny is what converter hub slid into when you reinstalled the torque converter. You either have to pull the engine or the tranny to replace the seal.
Are you sure its not coming out of the fill tube joint? No O ring!
Are your tranny fluid lines tight?

Thats it mike38sc that is the answer I was looking for.

I did not even know a front seal exisited till I did a search. I am aware now. I just slide the converter on cause it just slid off attached to the flywheel. The seal was not leaking before the motor swap. There were no leaks at all and trasmission was working good (HIGH MILAGE though). I got under it to take a look around . There doesn't seem to be any fluid coming out of the area where you bolt the flywheel up and drain the converter.I haven't put the rubber access cover piece back on yet . YES there does seem to be fluid coming from fill tube area and front of pan seal. Pretty sure the lines are right . are you talking about the lines to the radiator the tranny fluid cooler.

I plan on taking the pan back off putting in a new pan seal and filter threadlock around studs a new o ring for tube with some added silcone around the top of where tube meets tranny. A new in line filter. Should all 12 qts go back in right away. How should I refill it. Should I put half in run it awhile then put the rest in. It might be my imagination but the foot feed feels a little light. How long does it take the converter and cooler to fill up? I probably won't worry about pump seal right now I hope or should I . DOH.

Last edited:
what kind of transmission pan seal and what kind of transmission fluid?

It looked to to me Like the original fluid. When I took the pan back off there was more silver crud on the bottom of pan.

Is there a pan seal that is better than a stock?

I got some autoze mercon 4 in it right now. I know it is supposed to mercon 2 Lol finding merc 2. So what kind of fluid is the best for my 89 SC AOD?

I changed the fluid in my sc and am having the exact same problem, my tranny fluid is coming out like a siv.It appears mine is leaking from around the front of the pan. I'm just assuming my pan is warped. I'm going to be ordering a deep pan from Mac and just pray that that solves my problem. From the looks of it, the best gasket for the trans pans is the ford trans pan gasket, it's thick and reusable.

I've done a few of these engine/AOD swaps and if its leaking at the front of the pan, its usually caused by the filler tube not being pushed or pulled in far enough. I would take the bolt off the bracket and seat the tube in the trans as best you can, then start the engine to see if it leaks, then bend the bracket, if need be, and put the bolt back on. Sometimes it leaks on the trans side of the tube and fluid runs to the other side of the pan. I would not reuse the old gasket, a new filter & gasket is only about $15., just be sure not to over tighten the pan bolts cause its easy to strip the aluminum on the trans. This is a perfect time to install a real trans cooler and bypass the rad cooler altogether. Good luck

Hey Supercharger95

Doesn't that drive you crazy. Man I hate when I break a seal then go to put it back together it doesn't seal right. Should of left well enough alone but needs to be changed. I am sure a person who wants in the 9s needs a bigger tranny pan and cooler if he is gonna be on the street. I am staying all stock. I thought I might upgrade the tran pan seal if possible saw some big formed rubber seals for a monte carlo and wonderd if anybody made a upgrade for t-birds. The stock one is on there still on the pan I think it has just been compressed to much And I don't want to do it again this will be the third let it be the charm.

VancouverBC leaking out fill tube for sure. See your point 15.00 new might as well.

What is the best fluid? I see advance had it on sale for 95 cents + TAX. Where can I get Dexron Mercon 2 ? I can only find Dexron Mercon 4.

Do I use dexron mercon or TYPE F for my power steering pump?

I just used the standard Mercon but I buy it in the drum of 20 liters (CDN thing) since you will need about 12 anyways, and it works out to cost less than buying it in quart\liter bottles.
I know what you mean about staying stock, but sometimes you have to correct mistakes that they made at the factory that end up costing you money. For 1 thing the stock trans cooler is not good enough and should have been a standalone in the first place. The other thing are the flex rubber hose/fittings on the trans lines located just between the engine and the fan, they leaked on 2 SCs I worked on. So now I cut them off and run new flex hose to a B&M style cooler that I mount to the front of the rad support. I put bolts in the rad where the trans lines went, so it won't leak when the rad coolant gets hot. Now when I work on the cooling system, I don't have to even think about the trans stuff. Good luck

Yeah I thought what a strange place for a trans cooler on the radiator.

What is standdrd mercon so what does the # mean what is the difference between mercon 1,2,3,4,5, and so one do they make mercon 6 ?

That B&M set up sounds real nice but I am not going to do any serious racing. I am gonna drive it everyday to and fro maybe a 200 mile trip every now and then. I am gonna go to work on my old block and check into a rebuild no one wants to buy it. If its no good then I am going to sale the car cause I been there done that. I have been having delusion of a big block here lately . I figure 6 cylinders why not 10. thanks for the advice . I got filters where you say you have flexable hose in the lines to and from the rad is there a small cooler I can hook up at this location?

Here's a site that helps explain the different types of ATF it is slanted to their brand but I don't think it matters that much and other brands should be just as good.

http://library.cbest.chevron.com/lubes/compprd9.nsf/0/55f0c00459cbc70888256b57000c4e9a?OpenDocument

I don't race either, but I have had a fried AOD and learned that the cooler the better and the factory setup heats up the trans fluid. My cooler kit was about $70. and is for 24,000 lb, and had everything I needed to install it. But I put it in front of the rad and didn't have to drill or anything. As much as our SCs overheat b/c of a small rad to allow for the intercooler, its nice not having to worry about the trans too.
Good luck

HMMMMM so I should use Haveoline mecron.

good info . What about The power steering fluid I need to change it out and add some it all came out when I took the brackets out What do I use ? I need to fill it up for now. So what kind should I use mercon ,TYPE F, Power steering fluid WHAT?

Can you believe it GHEEZ I had to take off the exhaust!

Just to put the fill tube in correctly what a hassle.

Well since I have my Exhaust off I am gonna put my gutted cats on . Tell me how great is it gonna be? How much horsepower is gutting the cats worth? Yeah guys I want to BOOOOOST fly by cars on the interstate. Is gutting the cats goona help the midrange say the 30 mph to 85 mph range? I didn't have the heat shields welded back on should I?

I think you would gain more by getting a better flowing resonator than gutting the cats b/c the pipes from both sides of the exhaust 1 7/8" have to go together and squeeze out of the 2" hole at the back of that resonator.
I hope that your trans leak was cured by all of the work that you went through to reseat the fill tube. Good luck

OK bigger resonator Gonna try and find a old used bigger resonator.

Put it in and see what happens my buddy will do some welding for me would it do any good to gut the stock resonator. I am too cheap to get all new exhaust when all of my stock pipes are still good. Would a bigger reasonator from a junkyard say from a 351 truck work.

Is there supposed to be a rubber gromet on the trans fill tube where it meets the transmission? All that was on there was a O-ring so I replaced it then put a bunch of silicone on the area above the O-ring then stuffed the tube in and bolted it down and packed in more silicone around it. The silicone has been drying for two days.

An o-ring is all there is on the bottom of the trans filler tube, its a friction fit so you just push it in furmly.
I don't think there is much you can do with the stock resonator b/c of the pipe sizes. I did replace mine with a pipe once but I got a buzzing noise from the exhaust and didn't like it. So you're on your own there. Good luck

Back