my car is running very strangly...

92redsc

ok long story short, my car was running bad, idling bad, giving me a Check Engine Light, and missfiring under boost. i figured it was the plugs and wires. changed them to magnecor 8.5s and autolite double platniums. then i noticed as i was putting them back on that the chiltons book says they were soposed to be like
but mine were like
and i was stumped on how it was even running before, ut then i found out the dis fires 2 cylinders at once. i went ahead and put them on the right way and it runs awsome, idles awsome, for about 30 seconds then goes to crap and gives me another CEL. the CEL is 216, coil 2 primary. ok the coil so i buy a new one and put it in. (the old one was majorly messed up with a hole in he bottom) runs great idles great, for about 30 more seconds. starts acting up again, and another CEL. i run the codes again and it gives me 542, fuel pump secondary, what soes that mean? at first it gave me 216 again too, but i did it again and it didnt come up. thanks guys.

The correct firing order of the engine is:

1-4-2-5-3-6

The cylinders are numbered 1-2-3 down the passenger's side front to back, and 4-5-6 down the driver's side front to back.

Looking in from the front of the car, the ignition coil pack has the wires 1-2-3 left to right across the side with the connector (back) and 5-6-4 left to right across the front.

Two plugs fire at once in this setup, one on compression and one on exhaust.

From the front of the car -

Coilpack:

1 - 2 - 3
5 - 6 - 4

Engine:

3 - 6
2 - 5
1 - 4

yeah got it

i got the plugs and the new coil on right, i dont think this problem is with the ignition, seeing as how ive changed spark plugs, wires, and coil. the engine knocks slightly at idle whill its running rough, and its still giving me code 542. any one know what that means?

Back