PDA

View Full Version : Head bolts.........

garmo
10-12-2003, 04:13 PM
I got two I can not get out, both exterior (2nd and last),One is now rounded and the other is close but I don't want to risk more damage. I was using a 1/2 breaker bar and an 15mm impact socket to get all the rest off but these two won't budge. Any ideas?

MIKE 38sc
10-13-2003, 12:45 AM
Yeah I did the same thing.
I drilled a 1/8 pilot hole ththrough the center of the bolt head going only as deep as the bolt head is thick. I then take a drill bit that larger than the bolts diameter. Not larger than the bolt head and drill through the bolthead again. When done properly the bolthead will pop right off, repeat this on the other bolt. Once youve done all the bolts you can lift the head of the block and the bolts themselves will be sticking up out of the block so you can easily remove them.

garmo
10-13-2003, 07:14 AM
The block is still the car so it will be tricky.........

sc in az
10-13-2003, 09:58 AM
Hey Garmo,

Let me know if you need any help. Not sure how much I will provide but at least it will give me a chance to learn a little more about these motors.

I will call you later in the week to see how things are going.

Bill

BlackbirdSC
10-13-2003, 12:57 PM
You can try going to Sears and buying the kit for removing stripped bolts. They're basically sockets that have 'teeth' in them that you pound onto the bolt with a hammer. I haven't had to use it on head bolts yet, but it's saved me a few times in the past. I usually do the drill thing.

motorhead72767
10-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Snap On makes sockets that are for rounded heads on bolts ,they are twisted inside,when you turn the socket it digs into the head of rounded off bolts or nuts and breaks them free.I used a fellow mechanics once and it worked so i bought a set,They are called twist sockets.Worth the 180.00 for the set when you need them.