Buying a 5% Pulley; Couple Q's though...

SilverCoupe

I'm probably going to order an ESM or SCP 5% pulley tomorrow, however, I was wondering are there any differences between the two? Is one going to be markedly better than the other in terms of fit, performance, and overall looks?

I was also wondering if I might want to hold off until I get a full custom exhaust. My car doesn't have the complete factory exhaust on it; the previous owner had some minor repair exhaust work done and had some new cats installed in a slightly better flowing location than stock. (No nasty 90 degree bend right at the mouth of the cats.) But after the front section, the exhaust is factory from the resonator on back. The car pushes 11 psi of boost as it sits, so what I'm wondering is if the 5% pulley is going to be putting me in a position to blow my headgasket. It's doubtful to me, but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience on the matter.

Thanks,
Mike :cool:

Well, I'm a big fan of

Dual exhaust is the only way to go. What I mean is the 2.25 to 3" to 2.5" duals. The stock or semi-stock exhaust is hard on the engine. I would tend to lean to the wait and make sure at least the resonator is replaced. That whole center section SUCKS!!!!

Any whooo....you'll love the additional puuuulllllllllllll it has!!!!!

Don

Scott Long said:
Why not go w/ a 10% pulley?

Why not a 10%? Do a little research on the M90; in unported/modified form it can't flow much more above 16,800 rpms effeciently, especially on the high end of the rev band. A 10% pulley puts it into the 17,500 range at higher rpm. This constitutes a gob of power down low which later falls off. Why abuse the blower trying to get flows out of it that it won't give without modification? I'd rather have a smooth and balanced powerband. Plus, with a 10% I might just push enough boost to destroy my 120,000 mile headgaskets.

Back