Vibration started today...help

adpsmp

My car started to vibrating today. It has a hard vibration when it is put into gear. It goes away as soon as you start to move but returns anytime you stop. (does the same in reverse too) I am thinking motor or transmission mounts but I may be wrong so any help would be appriciated.

Last edited:
can it be that ur driveshaft might be damaged or has somehow un balanced itself??? have u done anywork to it lately?

I am having the exact type of vibration out of 1st gear (5-speed), then smooths out. I've found some posts in the past about this everyone's results were different. I've been living and dealing with mine for close to 2 years now, but it does get old when you are stuck in traffic and when you start out in 1st gear and your back fillings get shaken loose by the intense vibration!!!

I've replaced:
- Motor Mounts (solid)
- Tranny mount (solid)
- Tranny crossmember bushings (poly)
- Differential bushings (poly)
- Clutch (LUK)

And still the problem is there, and it only happens after driving for a while as if heat has something to do with it. But now I am suspecting the differential mount because I've seen how detiororated the rubber gets after time. There are some posts and pics on this site regarding replacing the rubber with poly and strengthening the actual mount/bracket. The rubber on my differential mount is also very worn and looks brittle. TBIRD88 rebuilds them and fills them with poly for a decent price, I am considering getting one from him.

Please update if you've found another fix for this problem.
Thanks.
Irv

darkstar_one said:
can it be that ur driveshaft might be damaged or has somehow un balanced itself??? have u done anywork to it lately?

Can't be that it only happens when it's not moving.

Could it be that it is missing? You could have a partially plugged injector.

I am now having this same problem

I have noticed that when I shift from park to rev the vibration is horrible, and calms down when I put it in drive. I've also noticed that it does it only when the a/c is on. I have looked over the motor, etc. and can't see anything out of the ordinary.....any suggestions:confused:

My 2 cents

I had the same problem, for 2+ years.
If the car would sit for a day or two it was great, but the problem would come back.
About a week ago, I had the EGR valve replaced.
Havent had the problem since.
I have a 5-speed.

hhmmmmm....

I'll check that out. Mine is an automatic, I'm just worried it may get worse and cause some damage. Thanks for the info!!

Cristy

Tylertopaz said:
I've also noticed that it does it only when the a/c is on.

Not trying to hi-jack your thread, but...My 95 has the same problem. When I turn the A/C on I get a vibration that is not constant, but ocillates. I replaced the electric fan motor yesterday, thinking it had worn out, but the problem still exist. I also checked my 1 year old motor mounts and thier OK. I'm hoping that its not the Harmonic Balancer. After all, there is more of a load on the main pulley with the A/C on. I looked at mine carefully and found no run-out. Could this be the warning signs of a Harmonic Balancer failing??

Could be wrong but I was having this issue for about 3 weeks took my chance and replace all the intake gaskets and the vibrations went away dunno if it was luck :) I had changed the motor mounts and all and this seemed to solve my problem.

Adam

Oh no........

Well I noticed today that it's vibrating all the time now, I guess I need to check everything over. It has a real rough idle too, not just in reverse, but sitting at a light too. It's so damn depressing.......what's next??:(

check for leaks around all your Intake Gaskets even around the throttle body and all the major ones I was having the EXACT same problem and with some checks I ended up replacign them all and bam they were all fixed and the engine runs great

Adam

Just a thought...

I had a bad vibration when the car was idling with the A/C on. It would also vibrate some with the car in PARK with the A/C off, but not as bad. It turned out that the bolts holding the accessory brackets to the block had loosened up a little. This allowed the brackets to vibrate. I have removed the brackets several times over the years to do various maintenance type projects, so I might not have gotten them torqued down properly. I don't know if re-torquing the bracket bolts/studs will solve your problem, but it is worth checking (even if you haven't had the brackets off).

Back