While my engine is out and apart... WHAT TO DO?

SuperCop

OK, so we have pulled my motor out, haven't had a chance to pull it apart yet to see what's wrong, but I'd like to know what I can do for around $500-1000 while it' storn apart to beef it up a little bit.

Most likely it's going to be at the machine shop anyway, so give me a few ideas of what things usually cost and what's benificial to do.

Thanks!
Kyle

OK....

Spend the cash on the beefy bottom end. Go with the H-Beam 351 Rods and custom pistons...You will be ready for some serious mods with that in place. There are alotta rod sets on ebay for real good prices...I don't have to tell you to be carefull with ebay though...Why not replace the motor mounts while the eng. is out...Drop your tank and put in a 255lph fuel pump "100bux"..

Have fun...

Brad

Is the $500-$1000 for the rebuild or for extra's on a rebuild?

If it is for extras, then get the heads ported and get a regrind on the cam. The only thing that really needs to beefed up on the bottom is it rod bolts (you need to replace them anyhow).

If the money is for the rebuild, then you are going to tight for just a stock rebuild and that's with tearing it down and reassembling it yourself.

Aaron

That's what I figured, $500-1000 isn't a lot for a re-build unless stock, but I dont' want to spend all my money on this car I guess. I didn't know if there was a cheap way to get some extra horsepower without going REALLY expensive (3-4K)

Oh....

I thought you had some extra cash....Good luck getting your chit rebuilt for that kind of cash....Gasket set alone is gonna be 200bux just to get it back together...Then you have other consumables that are gonna cost ya...if you are in that tight of a budget you may wanna try Gary Kuhgn for the parts you find that need replaced and patch the thing up...Maybe splurge and use 94-95 used rods to strenthen the bottom end...Maybe even a 94-95 oil pump....Your SC may be out of business for awhile if you can't come up with some scratch...

Pastera...

Rod bolts??? To beef up the bottom end???

Cheers

Brad

You can do a lot of the work yourself. A porting abrasives kit is about $30, you'll need two to do the gasket match on the intake and exhaust. If you have a dremel or die grinder, it will only cost you for the abrasives, otherwise add $30 for a cheap dremel. Gasket matching the intake and exhaust, porting the manifolds, and cleaning up the exhaust ports is something you can do and will give you a decent gain for cheap money.

Call around to see how much the machine work will be. Hell, ask the shop if you can work off some of you bill by doing some braindead jobs around the shop. Depending on what is wrong with your engine, you can do it for under $1000 if you do most of the work yourself.

Aaron

Back