Supercharger rebuild problems

livn

due to noisy bearings, Ive rebuilt my sc snout twice according to Dr. Freds instructions, only i used kbc bearings. the first time i left the dust shields on and the new bearings crapped out after about 3 or 4 days, they started rattling again. which i think was really just the front bearing. im pretty sure it didnt get enough fluid because the shields on the rear bearing blocked the fluid passage way to the front bearing, burning it out. the second time i replaced the bearings, i took both shields off (apparently they have higher rpm ratings without shields due to less friction) stood the charger up vertically and poured 4 oz of fluid in through the front bearing (without the pulley and seal on), then i sealed the front put on the pulley and filled the blower at the fill hole, which took about 3-4 more oz. i started the car and this time it was only quiet for a few minutes before i started rattling away again, i didnt evern get a chance to rev it up, it went kaput after only idling. what am i doing wrong? is it the bearings im using? the stock ones are nsk, made in japan, these ones are kbl made in korea, the guy at the store assured me that they were both made to the same international standard. could it just be ****** bearings? im starting to very fed up with this thing, anyone have any ideas, suggestions or know different bearings or parts numbers that have been successful.
thanks

Yes it sounds like the bearings you are using.
You need to get bearings that are constructed from the same materials the stock bearings were made from. You need to check the RPM rating on the bearings you bought, I bet there low RPM rated bearings.
You need bearings that at least are rated to 14,000 to 15,000 RPM.

First, are you certain it's the snout bearings that are making the rattling sound??? It could be that you've got a worn coupler. You could buy a replacement here:

ebay Auction for M90 Couplers

Are you sure that the needle bearings in the rear of the case aren't worn? What about the bearings in the cartridge?

If you're certain it is the bearings, then I agree with Mike. I've always been told that you shouldn't run any bearings made anywhere outside of North America other than those from Japan! That came from Millwrights and maintenance tradesmen from all kinds of big industry. If you're going to try again, why don't you just buy the damned NSK bearings?! ...Sounds like it probably would have been cheaper just to have bought those in the first place now, doesn't it?!

Good luck!

Cheers,

Sean

you know, i would have bought the nsk bearings, but i live in vancouver bc. canada, and i cant find one distrubuter that sells those damn things. do any of you know if they do in the us? and im pretty sure that it is the nose bearings which are the problem, or the noise would have started right away, not after it had been running for some time. my coupler appears to be fine also.

Look up the NSK specs on the proper bearing, maybe you can then find a bearing from another mfg that has the same specs or better.

Bearings on supercharger

You may want to try and find some made by BCA /Federal Mogul.
I think that the numbers are 206 and 204 (will check at work on Monday and re-post) 204 or any other number that has S,SS,F or FF is sealed on the sides S being one side SS on both in steel shielding the same with F designation but with a Rubber materialnot sure of the type though . I havent tried this yet but I'm planning to pretty soon . hope this helps

Back