Automatic Head Lamps !!!HELP!!!

wazmunstr

i am assuming my headlights have an option to make them automaticly turn on and off but i don't know how to use this feature. i just do it manually...

right next to my light switch there is a box that kind of looks like the following:

max
^

v
min
RANGE DELAY

the dim/randge is a wheel to adjust to max and min and off... and the lamp/delay is a wheel that does the same too...

how do i work my automatic headlights to turn on automatically! haha thanx!

automatic headlights are headlights that are automatic.
if they dont come on automatically, chances are your car doesnt have automatic headlights:D

that rotating knob is too set the lenght of how long the headlights will be on after the car is turned on..

checked this out...

rotate the knob switch up past the snapping noise it makes... the auto headlights are off.... when u turn on ur car in the night... they will not come on.. u will have to turn them on manually.. by pulling the knob...

now.. if u rotate the switch down... towards the lil lines it has... ur autoheadlights will come on automatically when u start ur car and they will turn off automatically when u turn off ur car. full ignition off. as in ready to pop out the key

so to do it automatically i really dont have to touch the knob... just the wheel til it clicks on...

awsome thanx man!

i know it was wierd question but its kinda nice to not worry about your lights cause ive had dead batteries all the time for leaving my lights on during the day 'cause of the rain... thanx man!

yeah man... the auto headlights only apply where either its night or starting to get dim... just let the sensor do its job... if u want u can set it to turn off right after u turn off the car... just after u feel the click.. just leave it there... it will turn off 5 seconds after u turn off the car

get a whole headlight swtich assembly from the salvage yard or rom a parts car... should work then... dont think its connected to the computer

Thanks

I am trying to put together a parts kit to install the autolights. I had them in my 92 and loved them.

Aaron

ok dude i dont mean to take over ur thread but now i have a question of my own... if u dont mind of course.. well even if u do.. i will ask it..

here it goes...

on my REAR VIEW MIRROR...

it has that SENSOR in the front and on the back...
it has a rotating know that says FAR and NEAR and numbers in between.

it also has an OFF and AUTO

what the hell does the rearview mirror do?

all it does is turn on the green light on the freeway and thats it..

The front sensor on your mirror will sense the oncoming approach of headlights when you have your high beams on, and automatically dim your highbeams so that you aren't blinding people at night.
I do not have the other option with the far and near dial, but that would be for your auto rear view mirror. When people come up from behind you at night, rather than flip the mirror up manually like I have to do to reduce glare, this mirror will adjust automatically so that you are not blinded by the cars headlights behind you.

oh wow i didnt know it did that... i always wanted to know what that thing on my rear view mirror did... haha hey man not too shabby for an old car :D... thanx man!

Exactly.

These cars were way ahead of their time back in '89.

The reason our cars came equiped with so many options is because of the market segment Ford was shooting for back in '89. Luring away the baby boomers from BMW. That's right, this car was originally supposed to be a luxo cruiser, and I guess it is,(Being someone who puts over 800 miles a week on their SC I can tell you that this car is truly a pleasure to drive ). I think Ford outdid themselves however, and created an all round fantastic package of speed, handling and comfort.

As long as I can keep finding low mileage SC's to put 30,000 miles on a year, (I don't buy them to sit in the garage), then I can't see myself driving anything else.

quick question for you guys. is there a fuse for the automatic switch? cause mine doesnt seem to wanna work. only manually.... and i did what you said, i moved the wheel up til it clicked then left it there so it would shut off after 5 seconds... well it didnt turn on at all... grr

Let's try the basics.

#1 - The switch has two states. One is off. In which it is solidly locked into a position and doesn't move. In this position, the lights only turn on and off based on a person turning them on and off manually.

The second state is ON, and variable. In which it is not solidly locked into a position, and can rotate either up, or down, towards being locked. In this state the headlights will turn on automatically if the light sensor senses a lack of light. The head lights will turn off with the key turned off. This occurs automatically but on a delay that is related to the position within the range of the rotation of the switch. The delay is longer the further up that the switch is rotated.

Note that in the second state you don't touch the headlight switch. It should be in the off position and stay in the off position.

Note that in the first state, you must use the headlight switch.

Back