KV from the coil pack

Do you have access to a GOOD high voltage probe?
Otherwise, I'd say its enough to knock you on your a$$ through a cheap television HV probe.

Aaron

All the documents I find say simply to use a neon bulb tester, with no specific values for the output of the coils.

With the thing on a silly scope ( :) ) you'll find that it idles in the 7-10kv range, towards the higher end on the exhaust part of the cycle.

Open circuit Kv (plug wire off etc) will be in the 35-45Kv range. I found that it was hard for most 'scopes to follow the firing pattern with an open wire so you couldn't tell exactly which wire it was. About the only scope that would work with a bad plug wire on a reasonably consistent basis was the Snap-On Conselor II (@ $10K). The Sun and Bear equipment would usually freak out on DIS cars with bad plug wires. You could see that ONE had a problem but the scope kept changing the cylinderit displayed as bad. Assuming it displayed anything at all (Sun).

Now if one plug wire is bad you should replace the whole set IMO but if you're trying to find if the misfire is just due to a bad plug wire or if there is more wrong with the car then not being able to tell EXACTLY which cylinder is affected is a PITA. And customers don't really like being told "Well, we need to put some plug wires on it, but if it still has a miss..."

Back