High Beams will not engage???!!

biffteed

When you flick the lever into high beam mode nothing happens!! But when you pull the leaver thingy back like when you'd flash somebody the highbeams work!! Why won't the switch turn on my hight beams the normal way!!?

I remember when it used to work, the high beams would shut off automatically when a car is comin from the sensor in the rear view mirror.

Anyone have this problem and fixed this?

You need a new multi-function switch. It is the entire blinker / high-beam assembly. The way the switch works, will sometimes allow you to use the momentary position to engage the highs. Find one at a local salvage yard or try to find it on ebay. I just replaced mine for around $40. A new one will cost much more $

My old '89 used to do that. I never did find out why, (I just lived with it.)
It would come and go. I found that if you turn on the headlights using the pull knob, instead of using the automatic dial setting, that sometimes the high beams would start working again. (But then again, sometimes it wouldn't.)

Take a look at my multi-function switch thread below. I just failed safety inspection last Friday for the same thing.

Replace your MFS.

Jon

Back