Should I go with 36lbs or 42lbs Injectors

rmolinet

I in the process of rebuilding my engine. here are the list of parts I,m upgrading on the engine. Engine block was machine work and new force piston kit , 73mm MAF, 75mm Throttle Body, 3/4 raise top,5% putting ,head rebuild & rollor rocker,manifold & heads ported, headers, true dual exhaust,etc.

1: What injector should I use 36lbs or 42lbs.
2: Any modification involve besided installing them.

thanks
Love my BIRD

If you think you'll be going up in power go with 42's. If you're done, ya right!!!, stay with 36's. And you will need to have you MAF recalibrated for your new injectors.

So 36lbs injector would be find with the set I listed. Now Aaron you mention that I have to calibrated my MAF to work with the injector, How?.Thank you for the info.

rmolinet said:
So 36lbs injector would be find with the set I listed. Now Aaron you mention that I have to calibrated my MAF to work with the injector, How?.Thank you for the info.

It actually depends on what MAF you have. If you have a C&L then you need the tube. If you have a Pro-M then you need to send it in to have them recalibrate it for like $100. One question though. What year is your SC?

I have 1990 SC 35th anity and I have C&L 73mm. MAFS '89-'93 Thunderbird SC Item #73-000 . Now I lookup the MAF on the web site I purchased it and it listed for 30lbs. Whats funny is that MAF thats listed for 36lbs is the same item as the 30lbs. Here the site I purchased it. http://www.cncperformanceparts.com/

It is the same part, just different tube. Also 94-95 SC's had 36# injectors. Just thought you may have a late model and might save you some money. I have 36# injectors on my car and it hasn't run out of fuel yet. I have the pressure cranked up on mine though and have a calibrator to adjust for it.

I think you would be fine either way but if you went with a Magnaport SC or decided to add a cam too you might need more fuel than the 38s can provide.

Besides I think 42's would look good in your mod list:)

Also are you upgrading your fuel system? I would think you need at least a 190lph pump. I went with the 255 with 42lb injectors.

I'd be asking the question of 38# or 42#. I'd stay away from the 36# if you are planning on upgrading. The stock ones are actually rated at like 34.5#. I'd look into a good set of 38# myself.

Thomas

Thank you all for your info. Every bit counts. Let me start by stating that I will be going with 255 fuel pump. I think it a good choice for future upgrade on avancing the motor. Will I need a fuel pump regular for the 255. If yes where do I get one.

So you say that 38# would be a better chose for the setup of my engine why not just go with the 42#.

you guys are great and no kinding around I proud to own a SC it a great car.

Last edited:
Yes! Go with the 255 pump. Do it once, and do it right. Trust me on that one.

As far as the injectors go, I've heard, and agian heard, that the 38# will idle much better then the 42# will on a stock tune or a stock regulator. I've had both, so I guess I should step in on this one. I had no problems with idle or performance with my 38# injectors. They worked wonderfully. With the 42#'s, I did have an issue, but I don't know if it was related to them or not. At any rate, it was taken care of with a dyno tune. I think your chances of having any issues with 38# injectors will be less then with 42#'s. How much less, I really don't know. Hopefully some other guys with 42#'s will jump in and respond. I'd reccomend Lucas injectors. I've loved both sets of mine, and know that a lot of other guys run them also. Check out www.musclemotors.com for some awesome prices on them. Good luck!

Thomas

Back