Installing new injectors HELP ASAP!!

fastsc92

Just went to install my 42lb injectors that i've had all summer. They are a little shorter than the stockers and i dont think they will seal right. When i get then injecots in the head, the bolt holes wont line up, and when they do line up they are not sealed against the heads. Anyone else have this problem with their injectors or at least how so i solve this problem?? I'm racing tommorrow (sat) so any help would be great so i can get it all tuned tonight. PLease help. Thanks guys.

hey
cant help u much but when I did my injectors couple months ago I used 38lb. lucas and they were an identicle length to stock although they were different in appearence--bolted right in
sounds like youll have a leak waiting to happen
can you maybe reshape or rebend the brackets to tighten it down further?
g/l
Josh

I have the lucas style in my car also.
I reused the clips to hold the injector in the rail and then lined the injectors up in the head and seated them in the head once they were all close. I used bit of WD-40 to lubricate the o ring. ( I dont know if that is a good idea or not but it worked for me.) The torx bolt holes in the rail lined up fine. Are you sure you have all the injectors seated properly? I dont know if mine are all pushed against the head the o-ring is what seals them.

My suggestion would be to make sure tha the injectors are in the fuel rail correctly. There are 2 (I think) slots at the top of the injector. These slots are what the clips slide into to hold the injector in the fuel rail. Make sure its in the position to make the injectors as long as possible. Also, the injectors will not SEAT all the way to the bottom of the heads. They will seat and seal into the heads but not bottom out. Just make sure that the o-rings are into the heads and not pinched.

Chris

i ended up having to oval the hole and they bolted right in. Now i have another problem. The car will not idle. It sounds like a sick cam but will not idle. The maf was changed and calibrated and everythig is plugged it. all the vacumm lines are on and tight and i cant get it running right. Nothing appears to be leaking however i can still smell a little gas. I've taken this car apart many times and i'm sure everything is sealed and pluged in correctly. what gives??

have you checked your fuel pressure. Did the regulator die? pull the vacuum line off it and see if fuel comes out. If so its toast.

Is the gas smell just from where the rail had been off?

If you have a fuel leak it can be a very bad thing......

Then double check your intercooler connections.

the fuel smell was just whatever was left on the intake after i pulled the rail. The car will not idle with that set-up. i've tried everything. I got mad so i put the stock maf with the 42lb injectors just to see if it would help and the car idled like a dream. Its running hog rich, but still idles smooth. I ended up taking everything off again to install the 30lb and the stock maf so i can at least race tommorrow. The dyno shows that i'm at a good ratio and a little on the rich side. I wanted the 42lb to work but i'll leave them off until i(or you guys) can help me figure whats up. Maybe i should call C&L because it seems like a problem with their maf. I also pulled the codes while it was struggling and got a MAF out of max range and a BAP sensor above/below min. These codes went away when the stock maf body was put back in. Wierd. I think i;ve had enough of this sc. Also, I think the nitrous is taking its toll on the rings. The car with 104K never ate old. I would go 2500miles before an oil change without adding a drop and the level never changed. Now the car took about 3/4 of a quart over about 1900-2000 miles. The car doesn't smoke, or puff at starts so i dont think its the valve seals. Could be valve guides or rings. Its a shame, Im at college and everything on this car seems to be falling apart and i dont have the time to do anything about it. The car really is mint, but i must have everything perfect...and its not that way at the moment. Alright guys, I'm done complaining....and thank for this help if anyone has any input.

Fastsc92 did you ever figure out your maf and injector problem? I seem to be having the same symptoms as you did. I installed lucas #42 injectors and a 76mm C&L maf and it only runs with the maf unpluged.

Turns out my MAF was damaged. I installed a new one, with a 73mm C&L, red tube, and 42lb lucas injectors and my fuel pressure at 42psi static. The car ran and idled fine, but run lean midrange and WOT. Very lean in fact. The dyno showed 13.8 on the wideband. ouch. anyways, I got an eec tuner and did all my own custom tuning and purchased a wideband air/fuel kit with a datalogger. Best money I ever spent and now i see 12.1 and 11.8 air/fuel on n20. The C&L isn't perfect on everyone's car. I've talked to guys that have worked flawlessly, and others turn out like mine and yours.

Like i said, mine worked, but ran lean. Try to make sure nothing is damaged and that you have the right sampling tube installed. Also check to make sure the injectors are plugged into the correct harnesses.

I'll check the injector harness again, The car runs perfect without the maf plugged in and as soon as I plug it in the car seems to flood out. I have the purple sample tube in and went to the junkyard to get another maf electronics to make sure it wasn't the meter and it acts the same. I've got XR7 Dave helping me so hopefully I'll get it figured out.

Back