Need help =( (possible HG failure)

1FASTSC

For the past couple of months, my car has been slowly losing coolant. It doesn't seem to be dripping anywhere, and I check the oil regularly to see if that's where it's gone.

Well, a few days ago I took my car out for a spin, and smoke started (or maybe it was steam) coming up from around the oil fill cap. It smelled like antifreeze to me.

I let the car sit for about a week now, figuring that the HG's are blown, and trying to figure out wether I want to try and replace them myself or pay the big amount of cash to have someone else do it.

I go to move my car out of the garage today, start up the car, no smoke from the pipes. So I rev it a bit, and I see white smoke come out (probably rev'd it to 3 grand) I figure "ahh that's probably HG failure" So I rev'd it again just to see if smoke still came out (probably a stupid idea but I like to be thorough) and more smoke came out.

When I got out of the car, there was oil spray from my exhaust, quite a good bit, still in liquid form.

The car does not idle rough, does not do anything un-normal, the car actually runs really well, no missing, lots of power etc, so I'm kind of stumped here.

Why is oil spraying from my exhaust when I rev the engine?

possible HG failure

I would start by pulling your spark plugs out ...#3and #6 cyclinders ...are most common .....for headgaskets leaking...if it's leaking a plug check should point in that direction...or ....you say steam from around the oil cap ...may point towards a leaking intake..on #1 or #2 cyclinder..and look under the oil cap and in the filler tube ..for any signs of a white foam build up ...[a sign of moisture] ...mixing with the oil ....I don't think your seeing oil out the back ...think it's your coolant mixing with the exhaust deposits and cleaning out the exhaust system ...either way your sparkplugs are going to tell the storie ....be either nice and dry brownish tan colour .or white clean from the coolant cleaning them ..if it is oil out the exhaust..then be wet black ..if it's running as good as you say... I can't see them being oiled .pretty certain you will find some of them ..don't look like the others ..worse case a cracked head ....hopefully just a leaking intake ..figure it out ...before you send it for major surgey....dave

It's most likely condensation mixed with carbon spraying out your exhaust. Rev any cold engine hard and you will get the same thing.

To determine if HGs are blown, do a compression test.

David

1FASTSC; I agree with David. As for your mysterious coolant leak, check the oil intercooler around your oil filter & check the top of your water pump for coolant, leaking from the thermostat or the weep hole. A thermostat leaking from the bottom can be fairly hard to detect.

Back