Question those of of you running sub-13 E/Ts...

SilverCoupe

Have any of you lightened your SCs? I mean, you could easily drop 200+ pounds removing even basic interior pieces like seats, spare tire, jack, trunk-lining, etc. I hear all sorts of people complaining about how they wish their SC would have been faster after doing mods and yet they still have a full interior with even subs in the trunk and upgraded audio equipment. If I could buy all the parts I needed (I can't right now; poor college student) I'd gut my interior to the fullest if it meant clicking off a 10 second pass.

Last edited:
Yes, my car is famous for that. Go over to Super Coupe Performance's web site from the links page and look at the 2003 shootout photos. There are 2 interior photos of mine. It weighed 3530 lbs last winter. Another 100 or so lbs. is coming out during the off season. There is a Charging Thunder issue with my article about it if you can get a copy.

Mike Puckett said:
Yes, my car is famous for that. Go over to Super Coupe Performance's web site from the links page and look at the 2003 shootout photos. There are 2 interior photos of mine. It weighed 3530 lbs last winter. Another 100 or so lbs. is coming out during the off season. There is a Charging Thunder issue with my article about it if you can get a copy.

Hey! Yeah, I saw that on their page and thought to myself, now that's how you prep a car for the strip! :D I just looked at your member page and it's obvious that gutting our SCs helps ALOT. You have the pretty basic essential mods done but you are about 7 tenths to 1 second quicker than cars with similar mods.

My car weighed in at 3750 with me in it tonight. so that put it at around 3575.
I have full interior, roll bar and nothing removed to effect the appearance of the car being stock(except the race seats, skinnies, and bling on the engine:) )

My first thing is always looks before speed when adding or subtracting components from the car.

Gary

PS Mikes car even looks lighter going down the track!:)

Holy moly 3750.....are you serious Gary ?? My lardass car weighs over 4200 pounds with me, and I'm only about 220.

David

Yep, mine is 3700 with me in it and I also have a full stock interior. All "real steel", don't even have a fiberglass hood. So I'm guessing that 3550 is not out of reach with just a couple more "tricks". :D

Check this out.......

There is a guy on the "Parts for sale" forum that is advertising fiberglass doors!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

He wants $600.00 for a pair, but just think of the weight loss!!!

Dirtybird91:D

Re: Check this out.......

dirtybird91 said:
There is a guy on the "Parts for sale" forum that is advertising fiberglass doors!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

He wants $600.00 for a pair, but just think of the weight loss!!!

Dirtybird91:D

Pimpin'! I'd bet that fiberglass doors would drop around 40 pounds at least, if not as much as 70 or 80! :cool:

I think me and my car need to go on a diet. 4090# w/ 1/3 of a tank of gas and me in the car. I weigh about 195 :(

Mine is like 4080 with me (150 lbs) in it. I have a 'glass hood but the custom sub box/amp rack in the trunk makes up for it and then some.
The only thing I remove when I go to the track is the spare and jack. Hell I have like a hundred CD's in there:)

I have decided I like to drag race more than cruise around town in 98 degree weather with the AC on(I have a 94 SC 5 speed for that, But it is for sale)
The only thing that is noticably missing is the AC and heating hoses. I still have the heater core and all the other junk under the dash that I will shed this winter.
Most would say that the SC is not a drag car and it is not, but it sure is fun to make it go quick. I have at least 100lb to take out in other stuff before the end of the year.
Fiberglass doors are only going to be big weight savers if you do not reuse the windows, motors, tracks, etc.

Gary

Does a factory 5 speed weigh less than a auto?

I've been thinking of fiberglass doors, too. One of the local guys here is going to be making them. It would allow me to put in a roll cage without adding more weight back in. I'm just wondering Gary and Dave, what you've done to reduce your SC's weight. Maybe there's more I can do to mine. I want to keep the A/C since it gets so hot down here in the summer. What would be neat is an SC that runs 11's w/o a going on the bottle. Watching you guys blow headgaskets the other week convinced me not to.

As you know my head gaskets were blown long before St. Louis, I had problems from day 1. I have done 10 + nitrous runs on the juice with the 4.2 and have not had a problem, yet. I would say it is common to blow head gaskets with nitrous and I do not mind if I can get 2 or 3 months out of them, that would be the least of my concerns. As far as weight I was a little surprised myself, I was 3900 at etown for the shootout and that was before the roll bar. You seen my car and Daves and they look like everything is there, email and we can compare.
Dont get caught up in the nitrous and w/o nitrous hipe, just go put it on!!!:D :D :D It is alot of fun.

Gary

Dont get caught up in the nitrous and w/o nitrous hipe, just go put it on!!! It is alot of fun.

Mike,

Gary's right, the stuff is addictive.....one shot and your hooked. Racing without it isn't nearly as much fun. Yesterday I raced on my M/T Drags for the first time and launching with a 100 hp shot I managed a 1.587 60 ft time.

BTW, Jim and Chris both got their full weight SCs into the 11s without nitrous...you just need a little more power and your there too.

David

Head gaskets every 2-3 mos? Oh my gawd! I can't imagine. I have started working on my next generation engine. When my current engine expires I want the next one ready to go and to be a bit stronger, so I'll go to the bigger stuff. I enjoy the competition aspect more than just going as fast as I can go. I enjoy beating the guys half my age in their V8's. Remember, I'm gettin' to be an old man and get scared easily when I go too fast.

My 93 with my fat *** and a half tank of gas in it weighed in at 4218. That would be 3933 without me in it. It sure doesnt run sub 13s however:rolleyes:

Paul

Mike,

He isn't going to need head gaskets every 2-3 months. Unless he runs it really lean and screws up the heads/pistons, the 4.2 liter multi layer stainless steel gaskets will hold up fine. Even with the nitrous.

David

Absolutely not. All I accomplished while there was a leaking heater core that needed to be bypassed after driving 135 miles towards NY a blown drivers side header gasket and an alternator with a growling rear bearing!:mad:! Brian checked it out on a scan tool and determined my drivability problem which I later corrected myself using the EEC tuner, but the car is still a pig. I will more than likely be pulling the motor from the car in 2 weeks and making some changes. While its out Dave from East End is going to degree the cam and correct it if need be (I suspect this is the majority of my problem), fix the header leak and change the motor mount brackets to a new design I have been working on. This of course will be after I put it on the dyno one last time before tearing into it.

Paul

Back