Ignition Wire Harness help

Billabong089

Hey, I got the new harness from tbird88, thanks so much, but anyway since its so old I'm replacing all the wire loom before I put it back on, my question is, those single pin connectors, theres one by the main ecc connection, coil pack and crank shaft wire connector. So anyway this wire is a bare wire with no insulation, well it does but its some sort of metal tape, I bought some at walmart its called metal repair tape or something its just aluminum tape, ( can I use that) ????? so anyway the wire just ends by the camshaft sensor connector, it just wraps around the wires and ends, so what is the point of this wire? Does it carry any voltage or anything?

I even checked my old harness, same thing ends right there and is covered in the foil tape lol so what is this damn wire?

I remember when I was trying to figure out my ignition problem, I unplugged one of those single-pin connectors and nothing happened... so what are they for?

So let me sum it up,
1. What are those single pin connectors for and why does it end by wrapping around three of the camshaft wires ( these wires are insullated and go into the connector so I don't think that has any effect on the wires its wrapping around) covered by aluminum tape

2. Did I buy the right tape?

3. Does it carry voltage and should I take care to do this right

so thats it and if tbird88 reads this plz answer my email, and thanks sooooooooooo much.

Billy DONT worry about that wire. DO NOT wrap it it any kind of tape, it has all it needs from the factory. That wire is the shield for the ignition circuits, its sole purpose is to keep electromagnetic waves from the spark plugs and alternator brush's from interfearing with information signals that are running through those wires from the various sensors that oporate the ignition system.
It hurts nothing that there is a bare plug and alittle wire if it touch's metal NOTHING will happen its really a ground anyway so touching ground to ground hurts NOTHING.
Leave it alone and put it on the damn car!

loool thanks for answering but anyway, I bought the damn tape so lol let me at least wrap some of the ripped parts of the factory tape that used to be on it.. just tell me the tape is good and I'm set... its aluminum tape, looks exactly the same.

I'm all set, got the wire loom, got dielectric grease for the electrical connections, THE CORRECT heat sink compound this time ( go radio shack ;) ),and a new (used) wire harness from wayne

Last edited:
Back