Pre loaded Brake Calipers?

BobGPz

Anybody have a good line on where to get some new stock REAR preloaded brake calipers and rotors for good price?

Mine lost a seal and leaked brake fluid out the parking brake armature, causing a mess along with severly warped and grooved rotors.

Fronts are fine, but rears are gone!

I know most rear caliper assemblies come preloaded, but that is a sure way to get the world's crappiest brake pads. Do yourself and your car a favor and replace those pads with some good ones before installing the new brakes.

Have you tried Five-star Ford in AZ? They sell to club members at list prices. I buy all my original replacement parts from them, and it's always cheaper than the local idiots.

Ouch!

Joseph, That is a bit more than I thought of spending on my rear brakes. I'll keep in mind at a later time when I get thaqt kind of cash up.
Rob, I'll look for AZ Ford link in the members discount section. I just need a good set of rear pads, and to have my calipers rebuilt. Rebuild kits are $8 per side. To bad my rotors are probably shot, take it in tomorrow and see if able to turn down, if they are warpep then that is more $$$ too.

Any tips on how to pop the emergency brake spring back onto the caliper? Argghhhh!!! :mad: I swear there isn't one dam thing easy to do on this car except put gas in it. I'd really love to slap the engineer team on this car.

Thanks for the help guys..:)

Bob I would'nt disassemble the parking brake lever assembly unless that seal is leaking.(which is doubtfull) Just unscrew the piston and replace the seal and put the piston back in.

Re: Ouch!

BobGPz said:
Joseph, That is a bit more than I thought of spending on my rear brakes. I'll keep in mind at a later time when I get thaqt kind of cash up.
Rob, I'll look for AZ Ford link in the members discount section. I just need a good set of rear pads, and to have my calipers rebuilt. Rebuild kits are $8 per side. To bad my rotors are probably shot, take it in tomorrow and see if able to turn down, if they are warpep then that is more $$$ too.

Any tips on how to pop the emergency brake spring back onto the caliper? Argghhhh!!! :mad: I swear there isn't one dam thing easy to do on this car except put gas in it. I'd really love to slap the engineer team on this car.

Thanks for the help guys..:)

i know they arent cheap, but thier products are excellant quality..the rotors that came with my package are made in Canada..not some crap azz third world country on the other side of the planet. My PBR calipers came fully loaded, pads, speed bleeders, anti rattle clips and floater pins. If plan to go all out, i think they are the way to go. They even sent me free speed bleeders. Also, contact Dan Newmann at Joe Cooper Ford in Ok. He stocks everything for the MN12s... www.joecooperautogroup.com

joseph

PB seals did go bad

Mike, the park brake armature seal(s) is what was leaking, MAJORLY! The piston seal was perfect, and the dust cover was slightly torn. Maybe a prior rebuild from previous owner and they did not redo the two seals for the armature. Compressing that internal spring while trying to put the circlip in will be fun, maybe a valve spring compressor tool or something, but that darn park brake spring is impossible! Might have to take to local brake shop and have them pop it on.

Joseph, Those definately look like good quality brakes. No doubt, but my budget is going to have to cut a few corners to get a few other things my SC needs. If I had the money I would get the red ones with nickel plated rotors. They are sweet, but my Ex & her 2 kids are staying with me and they are surely costing me a lot more than I thought. If I can shave a few dollars and rebuild brakes rather than replace them, then I can afford new shocks, front end parts, and a new radiator from Mike.:D

Mike, the park brake armature seal(s) is what was leaking, MAJORLY!Wow! That sucks!!!

Compressing that internal spring while trying to put the circlip in will be fun, maybe a valve spring compressor tool or something, but that darn park brake spring is impossible! Well I havent tackled that problem yet. Brakes will be one of the last things I address. I'm sure you could make some sort of tool to do the job.

and a new radiator from Mike.You wanted a drop in model did'nt you? or were you going to a FMIC which will allow you to put a larger rad in?

I think a drop in for a 1990 SC 5 Speed. If I go with a FMIC, I will have to get a new IC, tubing, etc,. This SC is costing me more than my Kawasaki.

If I go with a FMIC, I will have to get a new IC, tubing, etc,Nawwww you dont need a new IC. I can remove the end tanks from your stock IC and weld new ones on that will work for the front mount. True you will need new tubes, but that is considerably cheaper than buying a new IC. The prices on IC's is CRAZY!!!

On the parking brake spring - it's a pita to put back in.

put a cord through the spring and tie it to something so if it pops it doesn't smack anything. I had to search my garage for it a couple of times.

Compress the spring in a vise or vise grips and put a tie wrap to hold it compressed. Pull the cord, install and cut the tie wrap.

Aaron

LOL! Chasing it across the garage!! Haha! Yes you have done this before haven't you? I chased mine for three hours and that is just one side. Arghh!! Way ahead of you Aaron, I tried that in a bench vise and as it popped out on the last time I went diving for it and cut my finger on the vise which of course knocked my vise clean off the cheap wood base it sat on, forcing my organizer to throw shelves of nails, screws, bolts, etc all over hell. What a flipping mess. I should have tied it off like you said. After I get it squished enough, or so it looked, once I got it over to the brake, the wire I was using stretched or something. I will try and get some bailing wire or something stronger as zip ties dont work well either.

Mike, How much for tubing, and mod of IC will cost me? You still using your stock Throttle Body on your car or did you go aftermarket?

Bob

Yup, that's the job, real fun. I have some heavy duty wire ties that I used, they didn't look happy but they held.

Your adventure sounds like when I set my bench on fire getting the caliper pin out of a rear caliper mount.:eek: :eek: .

Aaron

Parking brake spring

HA HA! Sorry, it is a pain in the butt. I took mine off by mistake. Took about an hour to get back on, and I still have a lump on my finger from where it poped out of the vise. The cord thing is a good idea.

Do what pastera said. You need to compress the sh1t out of it in a VISE. I'd like to see it done with vise grips. You can hold it securely in the vise with the vise grips though (and will probably need to). Then put a worm drive clamp around it to hold it. Be very carefully installing the spring. I would not cut the clamp but just back off the clamp slowly with a nut driver.

Good luck.

Julian

I have a nice big vise mounted to my roll-around (complete with burn marks:D) so I didn't try vise grips (don't own a pair) but thought you might be able to get the leverage with them.

Aaron

I'll be taking rotors in tomorrow to see if they are beyond repair or not, and I'll stop off at local part store and see what they have as far as specialty tools go. Going to need a spring compressor for the innerds of the caliper, :rolleyes: and I'll look for a special type of vise grips or other spring tensiong tool. Well at least I am not the only one having a tuff time with these rear brakes from the sounds of it. Are you taking down pointers Mike?:D

Actually Bob I am taking notes and so far I'm thinking real hard about bigger rotors and new calipers. I think I would come out cheaper by buying new brakes instead of paying the hospital bill to repair the damage that spring will cause my body.:eek: LOL!!!!

Hehehe!:D
I hear you Mike. I'm wondering why I don't just charge the Ex rent and get me those red ones that Joseph pointed out.

Anyway, have question: Inside the area that houses the Park Brake Armature "Cam" or whatever its called, there is a O-ring around the bolt going into that area from the piston area, AND a seal around the armature itself sealing the outside of the caliper. I am ASSUMING that this area will NOT be having any of the brake fluid into this area. Therefor I should use a Hi-Temp Brake Grease in this area?? Or is it somehow flooded with brake fluid from the piston area?:confused:

These are a pain to put back together. Bought a 4" pully puller that is adjustable so I can clamp onto the caliper and screw a deep dish socket down to compress the spring assembly and pop in that circlip.:mad: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit anphetamines:p

Bob the Ford manual says to use Silicone Dielectric Grease on that shaft and in the shaft bore.
I take it then that brake fluid is not supposed to get into that area.

Cool Mike, I'll pull the Hi-Temp grease out and put in some Sily Dielectric Grease. Have to pull apart anyway as I put spring assembly in backwards. Doh!
Maybe I'll read the package of that Hitemp grease and see if it is the same stuff. Who knows I may get lucky on that..

Back