error messages

dodgetruck91

hi, just picked up my 89 cougar xr7 5 spd, my error messages include: Antilock light and the change oil now light, the il does need to be changed, but when i change it how do i reset the light? also, could the antilock light be caused by the missing cap on the master cylindar? thanks

Oil change light

After you change your oil, you reset the change oil light by turning your ignition key to on. Just to "on" don't start the car. Within 16 seconds you have to stick a straightened paperclip or something similar into the small reset hole to the left of the oil change display and push on the button inside the hole. The left side of the display should now flash. Keep pushing on the button with the paperclip until the display stops flashing. Now your oil change light is reset. There should be a green bar under the OK if everything works right and you followed these instructions correctly. Good luck!

I tried to reste my vmm, and the little whole in which I put the paper clip in feels solid. There isnt anything behind it that is pushed in. Is there supposed to be a depression?
I didnt do this with the key"on" though, I had the car running, but shouldnt there be a feeling of the clip pushing something a little bit?
Tom

VMM

There isn't a real noticeable depression that you can feel. If you look in the hole with a flashlight it doesn't look like there is anything there. So, try it with the key in "on" position, stick the paper clip in the hole push firmly and follow the instructions I posted and it should work.

If I may, just as Darkside said, you won't notice much of any movement when you push the paper clip in there. It will feel odd but just push until you see the display blink. Hold it until it says "OK" and it's set. Just my .02, guys.

Have a great week all.

Back