changing glass

dodgetruck91

my 89 cougar is mising the passanger glass, i need to know hohw to remove it out of the junk yard car and how to replace it into mine. thanks

Glass

This is a really easy job. Duffy gave me some great instructions on this. I will pass them on. I did this on a T-Bird though but the internals are the same I'm just not sure about the door upholstry panels.

1. Remove door upholstry panel. Reply if you would like specific instructions on doing this.

2. Remove the trim on the door that keeps water from running down the glass. There is 1 piece on each side of the door. The outside piece is held in place by a small phillips head screw on the inside of the door jamb. Remove this screw, lift up and pull away the outside trim. The inside trim will just pull out, easy.

3. If you have the door upholstry panel off you can look in the doors and you will see two plastic brackets attached to the glass. These two brackets have studs molded into them. These and two 1/2" nuts are what hold the glass to the rail. you need to have the glass halfway up to access the nuts, so if the car doesn't have power and the power window motor is still installed you will have to unbolt the power window from the door. This is easy, there is only 3 5/16 nuts that hold it on.
If it is gone or disconnected then you just need to manually raise the glass to the middle position.

4. Once you have the glass free of the rail raise it up slowly and tilt the front of the glass down as you lift the back up and wiggle it out while pulling up on the glass.

5. Reverse these steps to put the glass in your cougar. Be careful!
I can email you pictures of anything your not clear on.

Tools required: ratchet, 6" or longer extension, 1/2" socket, 5/16" socket, and a phillips #2 screwdriver. Good luck!

Back