oil pressure gauge?

oil pressure sending unit

I called Ford on this subject because I was going to buy a car in AZ and the seller told me that it needed a new sending unit because the one in it was leaking. Anyway, the Ford tech I talked to said it was on the passenger side of the block and that it was a driveway job, all you need is a jack, a 9/16 or 5/8 open end wrench and thats it. I never ended up actually doing the job cause I didn't buy the car. I bought the part though at NAPA for $11.63. Cheap(finally something). By the way, Ford quoted me $35.00 to do it for me plus the part cost!

Actually, the sending unit that signals the fake gauge in the instrument clister is located on the drivers' side of the engine just behind the power steering pump. You'll see a single wire with a red push on connector. The unit screws into an arm sticking out of the block.

If you want to have some fun - search for the proceedure to change the dummy gauge into a real oil pressure gauge. It involves soldering a jumper wire on your instrument cluster and purchasing a sending unit from a mustang. The new sender just threads into the existing hole after cocking the arm a little.

Good luck.

Mark
'93 SC

oil pressure sending unit

What do you mean by dummy guage? Do you mean just a light that comes on when oil pressure is low? The guage in my car is the same guage I have in my 96 mustang and I'm pretty sure the sending unit is the same. They both have an analog guage in the cluster.

Haven't you ever wondered why the oil pressure gauge never moves?

That "gauge" works like a switch - if there's pressure, it goes to about mid gauge, if no pressure, it stays at 0.

Lee

Back