Time for a clutch kit...after 15 miles! Li'l help

NorthrnSCownr

I bought my 95 5sp knowing the stock clutch was getting on in years. Well, after 15 miles after the car changed hands the clutch dropped to the floor and now no worky~ :(
I plan on getting an aftermarket kit from my local parts place and plan on changing the throwout bearing, slave cylinder and pressure plate. It's a Sprach or Sprachs clutch? Anyone know anything about this brand? It's about the same price as a LUK kit, but it's local so I wouldnt need to pay shipping.
So questions are, about how long does an installation take, including the exhaust/gas tank/drive shaft/tranny removal, TO bearing/PP/SC...etc not including possible flexplate machining?
I plan on doing the work in my gravel driveway before the weather gets too bad, so any help/hints/tips/ would be appreciated. Also do I need any specialty tools?
Thank you so much,
Tom

That is one hell of a job to do in a garage with a concrete floor. There is NO WAY I'd even consider doing that in a gravel driveway! Youre gonna break your back or get crushed try to manhandle that tranny out by hand without being able to use a floor jack or something to handle the tranny.:(

Yep, I'd say at least throw a sheet of plywood down under the car. But putting jackstands on gravel is a good way to crush your skull!

In other news, I can drive my SC in the garage, and back in out with a new clutch in about 3.5 hours if I keep a decent pace. But I've had practice.

There are plenty of hints, I'm afraid I won't remember them all to type, but here are a few;

Have a freind around to help if you can. It doesn't necessarily make the time shorter, but it will pass faster.

Take out the shifter first. So you will be cleanest when you are workign in the car.

Get the gas tank as empty as possible before dropping it. If the car is dead and you can't drive the gas out, jack it up and disconnect the fuel filter, put the end from the tank into a suitable gas can and use the fuel pump test circuit to pump the gas out.

I usually unbolt the driveshaft before fooling with the tank, so I can drop the tank, pull the shaft right out, and stick the tank right back up out of the way.

Pray the gods are on your side when removing the exhaust so you don't break studs. If everything comes off unbroken put antiseize compound on so it will be nice next time as well.

DO NOT cut the hydrolic line!! Many guys I know have gotten frustrated trying to disconnect this from the slave. If it is so messed up that it simply will not come out the right way (pushing the white plastic ring in and wiggling the line loose) take a hammer and break the port off the slave. That way you can get the trans out, and deal with removing the piece of slave from the line with more room. You are replacing the slave anyway, and that line is expensive if you need a new one.

Don't press the clutch pedal with the slave disconnected. Kill anyone who tries to.

Finally, make sure all wires, and hoses are out from between the engine and trans before you bolt them back together. Seems obvious enough, but there are a lot of things dangling at the back of the SC engine, and they seem to work their way between the engine and trans after they look like they are out of the way.

Good response Andy! I could'nt add anything to it other than horror stories about doing it the way Tom is thinking about doing it. I've done it that way and let me say this "Get that notion out of your head!" Its just not a good idea from a efficent work enviroment all the way through safety issues.
Dont be stupid, you can get killed or maimed for life from doing this.:(

Yes, thanks for the advise. Im certainly not looking to get maimed fixing a FORD product ;)
I though about the different options, and came up with a few ideas, but I am glad to have had the second opinions. THAT NOTION was in need of being extinguished.
I will go with plan B and get it towed to a trusted acquaintances shop and have him do it, if he will. The last option would be FORD, and I really would do anything to avoid that... as I'm sure you'd understand.
Thank again,
Tom

Back