180 degree stat problems????

SCchick89

i have a 1989 sc with a list of mods, but with the stock 195 stat. i was planning on going with a 180, or even a 160 because my car is constantly running a bit hot. my mechanic said that using anythng other than stock will cause problems with the fan and the computer. i've seen some of you guys running a 180 with no eec tuner or such. what will happen if i change to a 180, will i have any problems or will i need to make any mods? and what are your thoughts on using a 160?? thanks for any help

i installed a 180 thermostat + harwired my low speed fan to a switch i turn on after my car is on, what a tremendous difference, cheapest and best cooling mod you can do, you will not be disapointed, i have all Autometer Pro-comp aftermarket gauges and i used to read about 224-30ish sometimes, now on a hot day i never go over 210, moslty run at 200 now...Alex LaChance

E-Mail - SuperCoupeSC91@hotmail.com

My Dyno Run
Pics + Video
220 RWHP (So Far)
325 RWT (So Far)
<http://www.bristoldyno.com>

My Mods + Future Mods
<http://www.tccoa.com/rides/lacale.shtml>

My Website With Pics + Others + (Other stuff for sale)
<http://community.webshots.com/user/supercoupe>

got 180

recently put in 180 without any other mods. definitely takes a while longer for the car to heat up which i like. and when the temp gets up to where i dont like it, i put on the fan and it always stays right by the "n". be careful though, i just read a post on if the car runs too cool, it can mess things up. a few people reported that their new high flow cats were clogged after a few months... that scared me,, i just got mine and they are about to go in in about a month. but as long as the temp stays in the "norm" range i guess im ok. back to the thing, id say go ahead and do the 180. best reports are the robert shaw ones. good luck and dont go with 160, it will constantly be open, never heard anyone say yes to those,,
Damon

i was one of them that said my cat (1) broke apart, but not sure this is the reason and not to many other says this is it, i called supercoupeeprformance and bill told me if they where less than a year old he would replace it, said it was very rare thing, i had about 6-7k on mine, but i tried to find out what the size was and he said the exhaust guy uses diferent kinds and different brands..someone else also posted that when they looked into it they said they were'nt real good ones, so i just recently (yesterday) bought 2 more dynomax high flow cats for 175 and had them welded in (125) and now my sc is back and running again...besides that incident i love the temp my car runs at. i would not run a 160 either way to low.... Alex LaChance

thanks for the replys, so let's say i put in the 180. do i need to do anything other than that? any computer mods? and does the fan still turn on and function ok?

Sounds like you have cooling system problems and a thermostat will not cure it, it will be a band aid fix at best.
Probably time to have the rad cleaned out or replaced.

i did a 180 thermostat only, didnt notice a thing in differece in temp, as soon as i hardwired it what a difference, either go with a cool fan switch and set it to 180 or hardwire it so you can manually turn it on.. then you will notice a big difference, and your motor will be alot better..hehe...Alex LaChance

180 stat

MIKE----- the radiator, water pump, stat housing, and hoses are all new. the prob is the stat..... where would i go to get the cool fan switch and what type or maker is recommended? i'd rather use the switch that i can set to go on at 180 rather than hardwire it.. what should i get?

i'v herd robert shaw is the best ? i'm nutting the best one at Advanced auto and have no trouble, you can go to jegs.com or summit for the temp switch..

MIKE----- the radiator, water pump, stat housing, and hoses are all new.If that is so, then I would start looking for possable vac leaks. Something is causing your engine to run too warm a 100% working stock system should not let your engine get too hot, so somethings causing it. Perhaphs the thermostat is bad, but I would replace it with a 195 deg thermostat your engine should'nt get too warm with that unless theres a problem somewhere.

where would i go to get the cool fan switch and what type or maker is recommended? i'd rather use the switch that i can set to go on at 180 rather than hardwire it.. what should i get?I could'nt give you any advice on that because I've never used them and havent had any need to use them. Stock works fine as long as everything in the cooling system is working 100% properly. :)

just better do do for a cheap and effective performance gain, she didnt even post a temp ? so how can any of us assume its to hot ? i had a mechanic tell me mine was running to hot (hot days 224-230) and my system was working properly....just such a better thing to have the fan turn on earlier than 222 degrees and 228 degrees, its juts your benifit, you dont have to but why not let your engine run less warmer and gain a little power...

temp

sorry guys, i wasn't sure of a temp because there are no numbers on the gauge, but the needle is hanging past the "m" in norm and just a bit cooler than the "H"....i'm going to change to a 180 so what should i do to get the fan to go on? external switch?

your going to have to hardwire the cooling fan switch in, so your going to hardwire it regaurdless, but it should have a selectable switch (potentioemeter) with liek 160-180 or something liek that, i'd call summit or jegs, jegs got free tech suport and free call so you might want to go to them...They can help you out.. Alex LaChance..

or

i did only the 180 tstat, woth a radiator flush. instead of hardwiring the fan. i just unplug my AC compressor, then whenevr i want the fan on, i turn the switch to max AC, so since the ac is unplugged, just the fan comes on, you get a little air from the vents inside the car but it's nothing. i do that all the time now just plug and unplug AC. basically same as hardwiring the fan except it's not on all the time, just when i want it. works fine for me.
-Damon
by the way,, glad to hear the 180 tstat has NO evidence to mess up the high flow cats! now i dont have to worry

i had a mechanic tell me mine was running to hot (hot days 224-230) and my system was working properly..

The mechanic told you right, that is too hot.

Your stock gauge may or may not be accurate at all. I have installed an aftermarket gauge so I can see exactly how hot things are. I do not believe that a supercharged motor should run over 200 degrees. I understand that for emmissions reasons the stock temps were set high, but that is not best for performance. It also encourages detonation which is a big killer for our engines.

If you could get the motor to run at 195deg with the stock thermostat, performance would be good, but the stock fan does not even come on until much higher.

I run 180 thermostats in all my SC's, and have no issues with overheating even with the stock fan settings. Generally all my cars run at or near the "N" on the stock gauge. One of the biggest problems with cooling on our cars is air pockets in the cooling system. If you do not get the air pockets out they WILL run hot. In the summer when it is hot and if I want the motor to run cooler in traffic, I just turn on the A/C. Works like a charm.

The idea that lower engine temps will cause the motor to sludge up and the cylinders to wash down is a misnomer also. I have run my motor at 180 or cooler for almost 100K miles and when pulling the heads off recently still observe crosshatch on the cylinders and no buildup of any kind in the moror. The motor does not use oil and performs more or less flawless.

You can get a variable temperature controller at any auto parts store for less than $20. This will allow you to set the fan to come on at whatever temp you want. I recommend that it come on about 10 deg above the thermostat temp. Of course you have to have an aftermarket gauge to set this properly.

Back