DIS Module

casexxhemi

What would knock out 4 DIS modules in a period of 3 days? All wiring has be checked from eec to dis to coil to cam & crank sensor. Everything checks OK. Checked primary resistance @ coil & got .8 oms on 400 scale.

That is a good reading so the primary side is good. Now check the secondary sides of the coil. You should get a reading of 13.0-14.0 K ohms on the secondary side.

The coil checks out fine then. I think I would go ahead and return that DIS module. Something bouncing around inside with electronic circuits is not good, it could be ball of solder which is going to short out the circuitry or it could be a harmless piece of plastic. I dont know what the return polocy is on electrical parts where you got it from but there is no return on electrical parts once you walk out.

How is your altenator? I have seen these put out to many volts and fry lights and sensers. If you lights at night fluxuate get a new one your voltage regulator has gone bad. also check the voltage. Anything over 13.5 is bad but im not 100% sure on that.

better stop checking resistance and start checking voltage. something with awful high voltage could be getting into the wrong place on the DIS.

Thats the $64,000 qeustion. Since you've checked the wiring several times and havent found any shorts, I dont know.

On the rattling DIS module.....................

I ordered a new one from Ford ($248!) and it rattled. I didn't like that so sent it back - they took it back and believed me. They sent another one and it rattled too. I put it in anyway and it's worked perfectly ever since. Maybe they all rattle?!?!!?!

Jon

DIS

Frustrating! We install a new DIS module, car starts and idles perfect. Drive it for 5 minutes (relearn process), press on the throttle fairly aggressive, car dies. After the 3rd module we know we only have 2 more attempts to restart the car and get it home before the module is toast. Coil Pack test is good. What could be takeing out the DIS modules? Voltage, Resistance, Heat? HELP Bill help my car.
Thanks
James

this may seem dum

and alot of work ...but what would happen if you put a fuse or fuses on all the wires to the DIS ...maybe blow the fuse before the DIS Blows ..and maybe beable to trace it from there ....it seems to be on a non fused curcuit ..
.I recall when the back order was over on DIS the first run of new ones had lots of problems ...that was over a year ago ...dave

I think I remember

My car was one of those stranded waiting on a DIS module at that time. After installing the module I remember reading about a few problems with DIS modules.
Is there a surpluss of Bad modules now? Are they recycling through the modules? Did they ever recall the bad modules? Only one out of the 4 modules (that we installed) did not rattle when shook, that one lasted the longest out of the 4.
Fuses may not be a bad idea, looks like I would need to buy a few wireing harnesses.
Thanks
James

Bill (casexxhemi), keep up the good work.:confused:

I've found out that several of the harness's have been declared OBSOLETE by Ford meaning they no longer have them.
Since youre in Oklahoma city go visit my friend Dan Newman over at Joe Cooper Ford and maybe he can find you some of the harness's. Tell him I sent you.

I haven't heard ..of it being a problem lately ...as long as it is a DIS for a 92 ...I think 91-93 are all the same.. I know 89-90 are the same and will plug into a 92 but will not work ....you have the part# off hand ...for the DIS ..maybe sending wrong ones...dave

I don't have the part numbers, Bill has all of the paper work. But we will check and post the part numbers. We just may gice Dan Newman a visit.
Thanks again.

Dis module

#'s on module that lasted # years are IU2J12K059CA / 01219- 133240. Latest O'Reilly MC module isIU2J12K059CA / 01130-131959. It had already be installed on a vehicle be cause you could see the screw head marks on the module. BUT WE WERE DESPERATE!!!

Back