Just freed up my exhaust, what mods am I safe for?

derekhay316

Just removed cats with 2" piping, replaced stock res with magnaflow 2" in 2.5" out, and removed mufflers. Am I now safe to add a CAI and 5% pulley or should I have 2.5" and 3" piping??? My headgaskets have never been replaced, my car now has 87,000 original miles on it now. Thanks.

Well, a good way to figure a starting point would be to see how much boost you push now. (Since it is excessive boost pressure and restrictive exhaust that tend to be hell on your headgaskets.) You have opened up the exhaust a little bit, so I'd say you'd be safe to peg the boost gauge at around 14-15 psi and not blow your HGs. CAIs usually get you around 2psi, 5% pulley around 2psi, so if you're running around 10-11 psi with your new exhaust now, you're safe to add some intake components. If you're running less than 10psi right now, you'd be doing yourself a dis-service to not add some intake components. :cool:

Yeah its hitting about 8 or 9 psi right now at around 4000 rpms. Is that good or bad? I also have the air silencer removed.

that's fine with an exhuast...now the fun part of building up that boost again. You could probably pull off a CAI and a 10% pulley with no trouble

Back