C&L MAF problem...

fastsc92

Ok guys...i installed my 42lb injectors on my 92 sc. I also got a C&L meter and a red(103) sampling tube. I installed everything and seemed ok until i started the car. It would not idle at all. I had to keep my foot in it and then it would work, but do the same thing after 2 seconds. It would sputter and stay at about 200 rpms before dieing. I couldn't figure it out at all. I wanted to narrow things down so i put the electronics back in the stock body. The car idled fine but ran rich because of the wrong maf meter etc. I ended up putting the stock injectors back in so i could race the next day. The problem was not the injectors because it worked with the stock maf body. Why did the C&L act this way? I also ran code while i was have that problem and i got: MAF above max range, and BAP above or below min. value. These codes went away when the stock maf was installed. Anyone else have this problem with C&L meters? I was mad because i spent 130 on this meter and it doesn;t even work right. What should i do? I'm going to call them tommorrow and see if they can help but i doubt it. I'm asking you guys because i know you always help me out with stuff and it usually works. Thanks again.

C&L MAF problem

fastsc92, I am going thru a very similar problem. I am replacing the C&L with a pro-m. The c&l uses your stock electronics at the mass air the pro-m has new electronics that are programed to the size of the injectors, or so I understand. I also have problems with lumpy idle so I am replacing the cam sensor at the same time. Do you have a chip? It may be time to get one. Iam not an expert but I think when you go to bigger injectors a chip is in order. What throttle body and air intake are you using? It seems to me that it all has to work together. I cant say for sure since mine isnt right yet.

OK...

It is pretty well documented around the community that when you go past 38# injectors you need a tuner or a chip....Some guys have gotten away with it but not many that I have heard of.

The C&L MAF is a great one, if you get a chip from Apten you will be good to go, and will get better performance for your money if you go with a chip anyway. Not to mention the failure rate of the MAF Calibrations from Pro-M and others being wrong on arrival and things like that....And in the future if ya wanna go bigger or smaller you can make the change for alot less money via chip mod and sample tube vs. Pro-M Calibration...IMO...

Something to consider...Ask Brian H. @ Apten.com how much HP he predicts he can improve your stock settings to with his chip and your mods...

Brad

I have a 75mm TB and a 3" intake tube along with a ported plenum and a soon to be raised top. I'm going to call C&L today and see what they say, but i'll prob. have to look into a chip. I really didn't want to spend the money on a chip along with the maf and the tube.

What size meter do you have? A 76mm meter should run with a purple tube with 42lb injectors. The C&L meters work great. I have one on my car. Starts, runs, idles, performs well. I would still make sure and check it with the nitrous on a dyno before running it at the track. If its right you will be happy, if it's not then things tend to go "boom". :D

I run the C&L 76MM MAF and I do not run a red sample tube .And I have #42 lucas injectors
Maybe you have the wrong sample tube.Mine runs just fine.My motor has a stock cams,heads,
all of the inside of the motor is stock.I do run a chip from APTEN.But the car ran fine to drive
the 130 miles to get the chip. I was running fat.

I can't remember the sample tube color,but I am sure it was not red.

Some say if you have a bent cold air tube in front of the MAF this can throw them off.
I just have the air cleaner on the end of the MAF.A straight air shot into the MAF.

RANDY

Just ran out and looked ,I have a purple sample tube.
And I run 75mm BBK tb,3 inch tube,3/4 top,MP PLENUM. MPII blower.

Last edited:
XR7Dave is right it a purple tube with 42lb injectors I think you have the wrong tube thats why. Where ever you got your C&L might of thought it for an V8.

i have a 73mm. The tube for the 73mm is a red tube(42lb injectors)...if you have a 76mm.....THEN it is a purple tube. I have the right tube. I also contacted C&L today and talked to Lee. He never heard of this problem with all the SC's he's dealt with. He worked with me for a while trying to sort out the problem and said he would send me an assortment of sampling tubes that i could test and choose from if i couldn't get it to work. I have decided to sell my 42lb injectors so i can get some other parts for this car and start with this issue again in the spring. Anyone wants some injectors??

thats exactly what the guy at C&L said.....so i'm just gunna work on it in the spring. I need some other parts so these injectors are for sale.

Have you cleaned the MAF electonics recently? With a K&N filter you need to clean the wires of the MAF electronics every 10k miles or so to be safe. If I don't clean mine, my car starts to lope at idle noticably more than normal. The oil from the filter will transfer to the hot wire of the MAF over time.

Also, 42's are getting a little high for just a sample tube. Is it hard to start when warm? Ping under moderate loads? Those are signs that the EEC is being tricked too far from stock.

There's too many of us running much bigger injectors (I have 48's with fuel pressure set to make them about 50's which I know several others have) and not having problems for it to be an issue with the C&L meter/tune. Check the MAF wires with a magnifying glass, look for any loose vacuum lines you might have bumped changing things and the last thing I'd check is the hose clamps holding the MAF in place. Air might be sneaking around the 73mm meter where it doesn't with the stock piece.

Back