Difference between LX and SC front rotors?

TintedChrome

I have a set of SC rotors and pads.. Had them as spares for the SC, but my Cougar is in DESPARATE need of a brake job.. are the SC rotors the same size as LX ones?

Thanks..

P

89 - 90 T-Bird / Cougar rotors are all the same. 91 - 97 T-Bird / Cougar rotors are all the same, except for some of the last 4.6 Sport package cars, which had the larger Lincoln Mark VIII brakes. So if you want to use the SC rotors on the Cougar, from the years of cars listed in your sig., they will be fine.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

cool, thanks..

I didn't realize that the rotors I bought are for a 93 SC... didn't think there'd be a difference between SC's in 89/90 and 91+..

What are the differences between the two? More importantly, can I still put these 93 rotors on my 89?

No, they cannot be interchanged between early and late without changing the hubs as well. The hub hole in the centre of the rotor is different diameter between 89 - 90 to 91 - up.

cheers
Ed N.

doh!

That sucks.. I now have two fairly large paperweights LOL..

oh well.. anyone in canada need front rotors for a 91+ MN12? LOL

From the FAQ:
The 89-90 hub does not have a machined lip to support the center of the brake rotor. The 91+ hubs have a machined lip to help center the rotor that fits a larger opening on the brake rotor. That means a 89-90 rotor won't fit on a 91+ hub, but a 91+ rotor will fit a 89-90 hub but won't gain the support of that machined lip.

So if you have late model rotors, they should fit on your early model hubs, but they will then be located by the wheel studs, rather than the center hub. Not an ideal situation and prone to problems if you don't get things centered.

Back