Alright...I'm a little puzzled here (tech question

D

Dan Lineback

Alright...I'm a little puzzled here (tech question

I really am not terribly concerned with excessive boost levels causing head gaskets to go...they're gonna go some time. It's inevitable. But I was kind of surprised to see that even after I put on my headers and bigger exhaust (no cats!) that at WOT, I was still slamming the boost guage to 15+ psi. Even when I drove it with no pipes hooked up to the headers, it was still dancing around the 15psi mark. BTW, I do have a 10% pulley on it, which I had before the exhaust mods. I figured that the max boost would drop some, especially with open headers. How much more free flowing can you get? I know that I can port the heads and open up those exhaust ports a little (that will come when the head gaskets go), but I would think that I should have seen some drop in boost. Unless, maybe before all this, with the 10% on the blower, it was producing a very high amount of boost (say 17-18psi), and now it has dropped to 15. I don't think that's likely because it topped out at ~13 psi with the stock pulley. I don't think a 10% would generate another 4-5psi boost. Just brainstorming a little. Any input is welcome!

All that technical stuff aside, I got the exhaust system put together yesterday at ABC Exhaust in Douglasville. It looks good and sounds real good, plus they built me removable cats that bolt on, and some pipes to go in place of them to make for a quick change. Running with out the cats now. I'll post some pics of the system and more detalis about it later when I get the pics scanned and all.

Re: Alright...I'm a little puzzled here (tech question

With the 10% on mine I would get 14.5-15 psi boost. Your blower may have been cavitating before and now is getting an actual 15 psi of boost. Now that I have put on the stock '90 pulley back on I get 12.5-13 psi boost. I'm also .25 sec quicker in the 1/4 now. I want to try a 5% on the 11th but don't know if I'll be able to get one by then.

Re: Alright...I'm a little puzzled here (tech question

I've been toying around with the idea of putting my stock pulley back on just to see what kind of difference it makes now that I've got the better exhaust.

Back