dis / sc problems / irc module

I don't see the IRCM causing DIS Modules to go bad. Something (IMHO) is causing a short downstream of the coil pack or the coil pack itself is causing it. I don't see the spark plug wires doing this or the plugs themselves.

Again I would look to the coil pack (internal short) as a potential cause of this. Ot may only happen once it heats up and the insulation breaks down.

Glad this is your problem and not mine as this is a hard one.

DIS / IRCM / I GIVE UP

I have never had an electrical problem I could not figure out except this one. This thing is a B!t(h. I have never seen a ground wire go from .5 ohms to 39 ohms (4 inch in lenght, if someone opens the the door on a vehicle. Getting feed-back from somewhere.

dis

Duffy? I replaced his coil pack 3 years ago because i was not happy with ohm values @ coil pack. Then replaced DIS & it ran for 3 years.

Would irc diode be causing my feed back problem on ground circuit? I'm looking in that direction. Waiting on manuals from a guy in Florida.

No...as I indicated before I don't see the IRCM causing this problem. Think about it....a short on the hot side of the coil is going to steal power from the circuit. I don't see this causing the DIS Module to blow. I see too much current somewhere causing this most likely.

coil pack ohm readings

Still waiting on a good set of wiring diaghrams. My book say's Primary side of coil should read 8-9ohms. That's a lot different than .8 - .9 ohms.

Duffy Floyd said:
I don't see the IRCM causing DIS Modules to go bad. Something (IMHO) is causing a short downstream of the coil pack or the coil pack itself is causing it. I don't see the spark plug wires doing this or the plugs themselves.

Again I would look to the coil pack (internal short) as a potential cause of this. Ot may only happen once it heats up and the insulation breaks down.

Glad this is your problem and not mine as this is a hard one.

Check and see what scale you have your VOM set on. The #'s will be the same on other scales but the decimal point moves thats all. When you listed the values you were getting the #'s were right but the decimal point was in the wrong place. I assumed you probably had it on the wrong scale alot of people do that. If that is the real #'s then the coil is shorted on the primary side.

Well...that makes sense...if there is a short on the primary side of the coil there is nothing to limit the current through the DIS Driver Transistors. There is a transistor for each coil of the coil pack. All that changes is how much of the primary is energized. The primary coils are in series and the driver transistors of the DIS completes the circuit to allow current flow. The max current though is supposed to be limited to 5.5 amps.

dis

Still waiting on manuals to arrive! Something stinks about this whole thing!

Blown 4 modules in 3 days. Got P.O. & haven't messed with it since.

Maybe a silly question, but I don't see it addressed here, and I don't know how many threads are going on.
But you are cleaning the bracket up and using heat sink compound when you install the DIS modules right?

Back