name that gasket!

Fubarian

plain and simple. Where do these go??
gaskets.jpg

oh, and do I need to use oil on the water pump gasket or the timing chain gasket? I want to be sure.

I did the same job as you last year...

Replaced my front timing cover gasket. At any rate, i don't remember those gaskets coming with my kit. Maybe they did and I installed them correctly and I don't remember what they went to since last year.

But the small 2" diameter rubber ring gasket looks like it would go to the water neck. Just a guess though.

A - Drain plug gasket
B- O-ring for the SC top throw it out you'll never need it
C- I have no idea I've never seen that gasket in a kit before?
D- Oil pump gasket.
Hope this helps you out
David

A. HA! cool. I need an drainplug gasket.
B. ok, sc top, get rid of, no problem.
C. yep, still a mystery
D. ....heh and I got a new one with my 94/95 oil pump ...I should've known that.

And thank you much....do I use oil on the timing chain gasket or not?

No oil at all get it as clean and oil free as possible!
use some "high tack" spray or RTV sparingly around the coolant passages and to hold the gasket in place during assembly also you need to use RVT where the oil pan and front cover meet.

I might be mistaken but I think b. is for the oil cooler that mounts on the oil pump! I paid 20 canadian for that part because I didn 't like the way it looked(poor quality).

East End SC said:
No oil at all get it as clean and oil free as possible!
use some "high tack" spray or RTV sparingly around the coolant passages and to hold the gasket in place during assembly also you need to use RVT where the oil pan and front cover meet.
I figured as much but I just want to be absolutely sure (spent tooooo much money now)

Anyone happen to have an exploded view of the timing chain/water pump so I have some kind of idea what bolt goes where?? (ok, I'm really scared I'll screw it up ok? :D)

Just be sure that front cover gasket is the new replacement one, check the part # with Ford because the old ones caused a big stink when they broke down and leaked (like mine did). Mine looked different from that one.

I would get a manual for the car, it will help you alot, especially the pictures and torque specs. We can post a thousand replies and they wouldn't help as much as a manual. Draw a picture on cardboard and place your bolts there (take your time!). Check cover with a straight-edge, if it aint flat it will leak (like mine). They usually warp at the top. Use black RTV at base of oil pan, use plenty of yellow gasket adhesive on gaskets. There is one, maybe two bolts intersecting the water pump that need teflon on the threads (again get the manual). Just follow directions on everything and you be alright.

Oh, and do a search, everything has been covered at least twice.

FRONT COVER SEAL

Did any of you replace the front cover seal when you replaced the gasket?

Mine is leaking coolant from the top right side of timing cover. Just beneath the camshaft sensor. No oil leaks.

While I have it apart to replace the front cover gasket, should I replace the lower seal that looks like it is an oil seal rubber o-ring?

Is the gasket set pictured in this thead the OEM set? It looks like the Timing cover gasket set available at NAPA. Part number NGAJV1073.

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/n...e/popup_image.d2w/report?FULL_IMAGE=49836.jpg

Did the paper gasket work? How is the OEM gasket different?

Scot

Attachments

• 49836.jpg
    49836.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 155
I did it...

I replaced all the up front gaskets. I got the kit from Ford. When I did it, I made sure to use a little copper RTV on the timing cover gasket in order to help it stick to the surface and compensate for any surface irregularity. I'm happy to report that it's been over a year and no leaks.

There are two water pump bolts that require that the threads be wrapped in teflon tape to allow them to seal since they pass through the water jacket.

You will need a harmonic balancers puller/installer. And a powersteering pump pulley puller/installer. You will probably also need to take your intercooler out. So now is a good time to swish some carb cleaner in it.

Also, the reason for the power steering pulley puller is to get to the bolts that hold onto a bracket attached to the water pump. We don't know why ford used this bracket other than maybe for a "NVH" purposes, I've ditched it and haven't noticed much difference. Maybe I'll put it back someday and report back anything different.

Get a new crank bolt too, from a V-6 mustang. Make sure that you mark your camshaft syncrhonizer shaft to the rotor housing. I'll aid reinstallation. As long as you don't try and bump the engine. I resealed my I/C tubes with Copper RTV. You can do it, in your driveway using all hand tools and you don't need to get under the car either. Although, at one point for me to get the crankbolt off, I needed to get inside the engine bay and turn it. With the fan shroud out of the way, it is possible if you are skinny enough.

A few months after I did my cover gasket, and removed that ps bracket, I did notice that the reservoir now shakes, and it even popped off a couple times. Don't know if that bracket is a damper but it could have been. Let us know if there is a change in yours afterwards. Also, make sure you put silicone in the keyway on the damper before you install to make sure no oil gets by. Don't damage the front seal surface when removing/installing. Ford should crossreference that bolt if you tell them its for your car. Other than that, most has been said by Deep6.

Back