automatic transmission, tv cable

lowflying90

what's the deal with the tv? cable on an automatic sc. what will it do if it is out of adjustment? how do you know if its out of adjustment?

thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,

The TV cable is extremly important on an AOD because it controls pressure on the clutch packs. If it falls off or is too loose, the transmission doesn't have enough pressure and will allow excessive slippage that will toast the transmission in only a few miles.

Too tight will restrict throttle movement, raise pressure on the clutch packs and generally raise shift points under hard acceleration. TCCoA has a procedure for setting the TV cable, but your better off taking your car to a transmission shop and have them set the cable using a pressure gauge instead.

According to the tech I spoke to at Lentech, the only problem with overtightning the cable is that if you get it too tight it will restrict you from opening the throttle all the way. I set mine as tight as possible with throttle plate fully open. Ford now sells a TV cable attachment kit for a couple dollars that has a brass bushing and clip pin to secure the cable to the throttle linkage.

David

thanks,

the reason i was wondering is i test drove an automatic xr7 and it seemed like the transmission didn't want to down shift from overdrive. when you'd leave off the gas a little it would kind of slip or something.

i didn't know if it was cable related or what because my other car is a 5 speed.

Jeff

I just put in a rebuilt trans (full rebuild, with all the goodies and shift kit)

It took a couple rides around the block to get the level right, it slipped while it was low of course, stopped and added fluid. It shifted 1,2,3,4 (considering before the rebuild it didnt shift at all LOL)

It maybe a little over filled - 1/2 to 3/4 quart high.

The thing shifts very early it seems and doesnt kick down as quick as I like. Also the downshifts are somewhat harsh from 2-1. Also overdrive is slipping. (upshifting feels very nice and firm except for 3-4, just early.)

I know I need to get the TV cable set right, and the fluid level is a little high which could cause problems but was wondering if there could be something else wrong here?

Does anyone have specifics about what speed and RPM a built trans should shift at under normal driving? downshift points aswell??

Tv control cable system:

A: Symptoms: Excessivley early and or soft shifts upshifts with or without slip-bump feel. slip bump feel on light throttle shift into and out of 4th gear (3-4 and/or 4-3 shifts). No forced downshift (function) at appropriate speeds.

Cause: TV cable set too long

This might be me, the shifts are early but firm. (its built up with shiftkit so I expect them to be firmer I guess. It does hunt 3-4 or 4-3, I thought it was slipping but I am not sure, it stops revving at the rpm 3rd would be, seems to shift to 3rd with a little more throttle and stays the same rpm.

Hunting from 3-4 can be due to the TV cable being out of adjustment. Adjust it is simple and should not be delayed if you are seeing some strange shifting behavior.
If you have a Haynes manual, the procedure is on page 7B-2 and 7B-3.
Here's the instructions, diagrams to follow:

Last edited:
Adjusting the cable on these old cars with an old and streched out cable will result in a DEAD tranny, I've been there and done that.
David Neibert is right with his suggestion to have it set with a pressure gauge. My tranny smoked within 2 miles after setting the cable as described on that site.
I learned the hard way and hopefully you will not have to repeat the same mistake alot of people have, if you dont know how to set it with a gauge take it to a shop. You will come out much cheaper in the long run trust me.;)

Too late... od is slipping... actually its been slipping since I put it in.

The TV cable was set so that the tranny shift early, down around 1000rpm. Drove it to the shop (cottman) where the guy did it by feel (said he had no gauge!!) It felt better with the other gears but OD was already gone or never good to begin with.

I actually got the gauge at home but figured I would let them do it since they get paid too.

The fluid is only 1/2 quart over.

OD does fine until I go to about 0 on the boost, vac gauge. then climbs.. 3rd is fine for now under full load @ 12psi.

Sounds like you're right, the damage has already been done.
You should get it fixed before you completely trash the tranny and have a much higher repair bill.

$958 for a full rebuild 4 days ago was enough, it slipped from the beginning I just didnt want to think it was..

So they are gonna have to bite this one.

Well if its a fresh rebuild there may be a problem with the OD band accumulator so yes I would take it back to the rebuilder to be fixed. Personaly I would be hesitant to let someone work on my tranny that is not properly equipt to troubleshoot this tranny.
The diagnostic pressure ports on this tranny are there for a reason and sometimes its hard to diagnose whats wrong without taking pressure readings.

I agree, I couldnt believe they didnt have the gauge, he said it was at his house. I think he just didnt want to hook it up..

Granted I dont think the setting was off enough to do any damage.. they must have missed something.

I think they are gonna have to take the tranny out too, I did it last time. brought it too them and paid extra to have it bulletproof with all the goodies. 1,2,3 are very nice and solid with a good feel but if OD doesnt work its a sloppy job.

Last edited:
on second thought, maybe I will compain to cottman and get some money back and take care of it myself.

Im dont know alot about autos but I know I trust myself to do it right. as it is now I am looking at an OD band and accumulator??

They would probably drop my car off the lift

I'de let them take care of the problem, thats what you paid them for.
The accumulator can be fixed without removing the tranny from the car. Maybe the ear on the band is'nt engaged with the pin on the accumulator properly, thats a common mistake and very easy to do.
Good luck.

I have a question here.

My 35th's AOD has a 143,000 mi on it and has been tending to slip in O/D for quite awhile now after it warms up and it is steadily getting worse. Most of my driving is the 6 mile jaunt to work never getting it over 50. If I keep it out of O/D and just keep the shifter in D will it help it last a bit longer. I need to wait about 6 mos before I get it rebuilt.

The Ford shop manual I have for my 90 says to do it the same way the Haynes does. Do you think my car with 80000 miles is in danger of being ruined by doing it that way??

Back