Anyone using Optima batteries?

Jeremy_K

Hey everyone, I was just thinking about buying an Optima red top battery. Just wanted to know if anyone else has one and how it's doing. Is it worth the money? Thanx

I have 2 in my T-bird but thats for the stereo, being that its a dry cell its safe to put inside the car. I believe I payed about $120 a piece.

Attachments

• subs.jpg
    subs.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 309
I have had 2 of the red tops in my 94 in the last few years. The first Optima died after one of the Capacitors for my stereo drained it about 50 million times before I figured out what the problem was
In between those I had a Die Hard security battery that died a month or so ago and I replaced it with another red top.
Aside from the sealed/gel construction I don't think it is that much better than the garden variety heavy duty battery.

Ive had great luck with them
the first one I ever had -a red top lasted me about 5 yrs till I sold it to a buddy that kept using it--now I have them in my work equip. and vehicles
I think you can get them at autozone now for like 110
g/l Josh

i've always had good luck with them, if your using a stereo and want to use a optima your suposed to use the yellow top...if you want to get high tech, use the red top for your starter, and an isolator with a yellow top in the rear (Red tops arent made for the quick/discharge and recharge as what they made the yellow top for..)

Red Top - Regular Upgrade battery (made for starting usage)
Yellow Top - Stereo Usage (alot of discharge / rechargeing)

or have a combo of the both 1 red (front) 1 yellow (rear)with an isolator..

or have 2 yellow tops (front and rear or both in rear) for the more advanced..

my 2 cents... Alex LaChance..

It's like a really big Diode. Basically only allows Pos. voltage to flow in only one direction. Kind of like a damn does for water. It just "isolates" the two batts. so they can't draw from each other.

Just my 2 cents, Optimas are great batts. I've been using them for 12 years in every demo car I build. Low internal resistance, makes it much easier for them to charge and discharge quickly.

Just try to make sure you don't cylce them too many times (kill them, charge them, kill them etc.)

Rino

yellow top

I've got a yellow top, that I've had for about 2 years. I don't think it's ever died, I've got somewhat of a sound system, but I'm not sure how much the wattage is. All I know is that it is a Rockford Fosgate, and it powers (2) 12" MB Quart's. I also listen to my radio with the car off for 2 hours straight all the time, and it hasn't died, but sometimes you can tell it's close to dead cause it will turn over slowly. No complaints.
-kris

I'm running a Red-Top in my XR-7. So far, it's been great. The battery is actually made by Johnson Controls. I work for Johnson Controls in the Automotive Seating Group. We make car seats for OEM, just about everybody. We bought Optima a few years ago.

Optima's have a lot of advtages:
They are more resistant to vibration failure over conventional batteries. They can be drained down and recovered many more times than conventional batteries, and of course, they are sealed and the acid won't leak out because it's absorbed in matting.
Anybody I've ever talked to about them said they should go 10 years....well worth the money.

Johnson Controls has Automotive Interiors, Seating, Batteries, and Building Controls.

Check us out on the web:
www.Johnsoncontrols.com

im using one too , is a great battery , i have left the parking lights of my ca ron for like 5 hours , start without hesistation , and starts the sc rigth away.

i even have underdrives.

btw is a red top

thanks for the replies fellas. i talked with a buddy of mine who worked at auto zone. he said that he seen more of the optimas being returned than any other battery. i'm not gonna waste the cash and take the chance. i'll go with the duralast gold at autozone. i've had good luck with them.

Thats funny, my brothers friend also said (works at AutoZone) that the most returned battery's there are optima batteries (i think thats a bunch of BS)...i dont know what these people are doing either there liing and want money back or they have other problems and thought a better battery would fix there draining problem...my brother asked me and he knows i know my electronics stuff (Electronics Tech at my work), i had 3 optima yellow tops, in 2 different cars and my friend is useing one of my old ones i sold him, never had a problem yet, these battery's have a like 3 hr reserve capacity in them...i went to the mall once, left my lights on came out hrs later, and my lights where all still
bright, i didnt think i was going to start my car but then i realized duh, if my lights are bright obviously there's enough juice, started no problem... I have not herd anything bad about from anyone i know with these batteries.. i actually had a problem with my stock battery, i guess there is a little drain that i couldnt start my car after like a week or 2 of sitting, but the optima blocks out little draining if there is from the car, so it actually helps my car sit longer without starting it... OPTIMA'S ARE THE BEST ALL AROUND BATTERY !!!

If you want a crazy stereo then go with a drycell battery's and isolate them with an isolator...

My best advice... Alex LaChance

if theyre good enough for most dragster s i have seen and most baja trucks ( baja 1000) i think is good enough for us

Back