this is driving me crazy

92redsc

ok my car was idling rough and i just replace plugs, wires, and coil pack. (also fuel filter) all my coneections are good. my car started idling bad again after a quick burst of fun fun acceleration. read code 342, fuel pump secondary. checked fuel pressure. 41 psi. good. i have no clue why my car is running bad. just a second ago it wouldnt start, but its the 30 amp fuse to the ignition coil. hmph, get a new one then back where i started.i gaped the plugs at about .053 like on the sticker, bt ive heard .045 is better. but this wouldnt effect the car that much? advice please.

my problem was leaking intake gasket.try spraying some carb cleaner around intake bolts and along where the seem of the intake.also try spraying around the fuel injectors and vacuum lines to see if they might be leaking.if u have a leak the idle will pickup when u spray carb cleaner on it.hope that might help u

yeah

im afraid to even go anywhere in it so i dont know what it feels like. when idling it knocks and pings, doesnt sound good at all. i might have leaks, but that wouldnt make it knock i dont think. plus it was running good for a little bit before it went to crap. when it was running good, i had it on the floor and then the rpms just dropped with it still floored and it hasnt run the same since. i was only taching 4000, so i didnt even redline it. wierd. i CANT figure this out.

oil pressure

Its good according to the gauge, its always in the high side of normal. i hope to God that i dont have to tear this engine down or i will be selling this car.

Hey, what's down?

Still having that problem? let me know if you need some help, and I 'll try to come help if you want. I don't know very much , but we might get something done.
I got my fuel pump in, runs good so far:cool:

Later

where do you buy your gas? i would drain the fuel and change the filter. it does not happen very often but maybe you have some bad fuel.

Re: yeah

92redsc said:
when it was running good, i had it on the floor and then the rpms just dropped with it still floored and it hasnt run the same since. i was only taching 4000, so i didnt even redline it. wierd. i CANT figure this out.

Sounds like either the DIS, cam sensor or, dont laugh, you might want to check your radiator. no kidding you, i used to have to fill mine up at least once a week, or every 300 miles, which ever came first. I forgot to check one time, and i was bringing it up on boost when all of a sudden, the tach drops from 4g's to 1200 and makes this, "ppppppppppppppppprrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound, high pitched, not like a cat. come to find out, she was really dehydrated. never let that happen again....

my .02

stephen

I had the same problem and it was the coil pack plug had poped up just enough to make some contact but how I figued it out was standing on the side of the road with a dead car so I played with all the plugins and lol and behold. Might not be the problem but something to check. This was on my 91.

ok progress...

thanks for the help. but, its still running bad. the fuel pump code went away and now im getting 216, coil 2 primary, again. i had this code a while ago when my coil pack blew out. i hooked up a timing light and the last two plugs on the far right side of the coil pack, #3 & 4, arnt getting any fire. i know each coil fires two plugs. new coil pack so i checked the wiring. smoke started coming from a spot, so i checked the wiring there first. 4 wires were melted together, they were the ones to the coil. well got them fixed thinking that was the problem, but still no spark on those two. the wierd thing is, it is the same coil (3rd one over) that got blown out on the old one. also, i knocked out the 30 smp fuse that is the coil pack fuse. any ideas? radiator fluid good, new cam sensor. thanks

Oh man dose that suck. There has to be something wrong with the wireing that it melted some wires. It could also have messed up other sensors. you might want to start with a used engine wireing harness from somone who is parting there car. One thing to look for is the main harness from the passanger side front to the fire wall. It goes right by the exhaust manifolds and could have come loose and burned the insulation on wires. Hard to see but thats also what happend to me. Good luck and if you cant figure it out look up tbird88. Nice guy and he`s in Texas also.
keep us informed on your progress.

DIS DIS DIS DIS DIS try a DIS DIS DIS DIS DIS

my 3&4 cylinder went out 2 times on me and both times it was the DIS.......... might wanna give it a try, I'm betting that coil packs are fine too... supposely they rarely go out.

true forgot about the wire harness, maybe the DIS failed in some sort of wierd way, sent a lot of volts through the wires and they got really hot and melted, I dont know how the DIS really works or how much power goes thru that puppy but who knows, you tried everything but the DIS, give it a shot. At least take it off and see if there is anything left underneath, suppose to be heatsink compound, probably all dried and gone.

yah

im thinking somthing is sending to much power through the wires to melt them, knock out the coil pack fuse, and blow a coil. any ways, ill check the rest of the wires as best i can and check the DIS and get back to you. how can you tell if a DIS is still good?

Back