The Stator and Starter Learning Experience

carlislesc

I was having some trouble starting the SC. Sometimes it would catch the first time, other times I'd have to let it sit and try again later. I changed the battery and had my local garage replace the starter. Same problem existed and $360 expensed to this point. Then I broke down and took it to the Ford dealer. The dealer even had trouble finding the problem, but later dertermined it was the stator. Replaced and testing for $210. The stator is under the upper water pump pulley. Car now starts the first time. $570 for the project. So what did I learn? Stop being cheap and take your car to your local Ford dealer for service when you do not have the skills.

Stator Problem

Just curious, what exactly is the stator you're talking about? Sounds like something I'm unfamiliar with, but am curious as sometimes my SC exhibits similar problems. We actually don't live too far apart, as I'm in Marysville, PA. My oldest daughter lives in Lykens and travels thru your area everyday to work in Camp Hill.

Take care,

WRGoudy

Yes, proper diagnosis is essential for effective repair.

If the car CRANKS, but sometimes won't START, the first thing to observe is whether or not the "UPSHIFT" light is going out during the cranking. If the upshift light is staying on, then the CRANK sensor is bad and will need replacing. Cost: about $50 for the sensor and 1hr labor.

If the UPSHIFT light is going out during crank, but the car won't start, then the CAM sensor (or stator as you put it) may be bad. Cost: about $35 and 1hr labor to replace.

If the motor does NOT crank, then a quick test of the output of the SOLENOID on the fender will tell you if the STARTER is bad or the solenoid. Cost: Solenoid about $15 and .5 hr labor: Starter about $100 and 1hr labor.

Any of these problems can be intermittant so it really helps to have some basic tools and an understanding of the systems so that you can diagnose the problem on the spot.

....and people here love to give you their opinions. :D

Never heard of a stator when referencing a car engine. There is a stator in a generator or alternator, or an electric motor. I'd sure like to know exactly what was replaced.

Holy freakin crap... they charged you $210 for replacing the stator aka cam sensor? Back when mine went bad, I bought a replacement Motorcraft (Ford) cam sensor for $13. It's held in place by two little bolts, and took me 10 minutes to replace.

New starter: $360

New cam sensor: $210

Learning that the dealer will ALWAYS rip you off: Priceless
;)

BTW don't feel bad, I think everyone here has been burned by the dealer at least once, before vowing never to return!

Last edited:
danekejt

The upshift light is a yellow arrow on your instrument cluster that momentarily lights, then goes out when you start your car. It's supposed to light to tell you to upshift, but I've never seen it. I think you really have to red line it for the arrow to light.

Ford engineers also tied this light in with the crank sensor on our cars to help techs diagnose a no start condition with the SC. If your car ever cranks over, but won't start, look at the upshift arrow. If it remains lit, then your crank sensor is bad, or you lost your harmonic balancer.

carlislesc said:
So what did I learn? Stop being cheap and take your car to your local Ford dealer for service when you do not have the skills.
Very true. If you're patient, are willing to learn, and discuss your problems here by explaining them in exacting detail, something not all people can do, you can save a lot of time and money. But be forewarned, not all advice you get here will be good; some of it is well thought out, some of it is guess work, some of it is the blind leading the blind, and conclusions may be drawn without asking the right questions. Thats just how it goes in an open forum. In the end, it is YOU who are responsible for your problem, so if taking it to the dealer works, then thats the right thing to do.

But.. in general, people here know these cars about 10x better than 99% of the modern factory trained mechanics out there.

Back