simple question: dash pad

as far as i know you have to take the whole top of the dash off. which means tearing apart the dash.

That's what I was afraid of. I've got the dash completely torn apart right now but can't seem to get it out. I've taken every bolt/nut/screw out I could find, unplugged every wire I saw, and it's still in there somehow. I'm completely stumped....I don't even feel like putting it back together, if I can that is.

The problem I'm having right now is with the wiring harness located under the passenger side kick panel, there isn't a connecter on one of the wires and I don't really want to cut it or remove the harness from the dash.

well yeah know i thought i saw awhile back a post on this. in spring this year i was thinking of replacing my dash with a parts car dash that i had that was in great shape. from what i remember there are some bolts that are hard to get to in the center of the dash. i will look around and see if i can find that post and let you know.

here is the article that i was thinking of. look up this one "Dashes Need Help". down towards the bottom gives a good description on how to do this and to boot the dudes email address if you have questions. hope this helps.

i got the same one ... i was very happy with it, and it fitting...just what i needed...i painted it a little bright as well.. Alex LaChance

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I've read most of the post about how to remove the heater core (involves taking off the dash) and I also have a shop manual. I got the bolts off that hold the dash on....it moves, but the wiring is holding it in. I'm trying to avoid removing all wiring from the dash but looks like I may have to, and that will take a while. And Lance....sorry I haven't registered my 35th but I'm embarassed to even own the POS. :p

If anybody has any advice on how to remove the wiring harness on the passengers side under the kick panel....how to unplug it (1 wire left, thick black no connecter) all without taking it out of the dash I would appreciate it.

Oh and the dash cover looks nice but it doesn't go over the glove box and sides right? I'm mostly changing dash's due to color not wear.

Ready for some fun

The cable which runs through the firewall at the bottom goes to the antenna. You have to pull back the fender shield, reach up and remove the felt cover, then unplug the antenna wires and feed them back through.

Hey TBirdDriver

that link you posted for the dash top went to a top with a tissue dispenser. Is that what they call the roll top on the dash. I think this dashtop would solve my problem with my cracks but want to make sure I order the right one.

thanks

Yes.
They call the "roll top" a tissue dispenser. I guess that's what it is supposed to be used for. However I only keep miscellaneous junk in there.

(I don't keep any gloves in the glove box either.)

By the way, when I installed this, it fit perfectly. You do have to remove the black plastic piece above the roll top. You do not have to remove the small vent piece on the dash above the instrument cluster. I also removed the right A/C, (passenger side) vent before I glued it on, but I don't think that was necessary. I also used a bunch of clamps around the roll top to help seat the dash cover firmly in this area, as well as cardboard wedged between the windshield and the new cover to help keep it in place while it set. I also jammed an old sneaker on the left side to hold down that corner while it dried. It comes with a tube of clear silicone. I asked for a color sheet to be sent to me first so I could decide which color I liked. I was very happy with the result.

Back