PDA

View Full Version : anyone have this problem?

91CaliTBIRD
10-23-2003, 07:16 AM
I bought this SC from the original owner which was definately well maintained and have all the receipts to see it for myself. But every since day one when i roll the power window or windows down in park or in gear the car shakes. It also shakes when i turn the steering wheel. And it especially shakes when i put it in reverse for about a half a second, so if i were to put it in reverse and immediately turn the steering wheel it will shut off on me probably 8 out of 10 times. I replaced the alternator about a month ago when it went out and im still having the same problem. It supposidly has a recent tune-up and im assuming its the voltage regulator but im not sure if this would cause this problem. The car shakes in gear (automatic) a little but doesnt seem to miss at all. I have not drivin any other SC so im not sure if these cars shake normally a little in gear. What do you guys think and do your SCs shake? Thanks

rivlee
10-23-2003, 07:24 AM
You may have more than 1 problem, but some of your symptoms point at the motor mounts. They're fluid filled and will eventually leak out.

Lee

Brianas
10-23-2003, 07:25 AM
the voltage reg. is inside the alternator
-so I beleive u can rule that out
have the motor mounts been checked\changed?
maybe check the harmonic balancer see if its wobling
g/l
Josh

jasonLmarsh
10-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Definitely motor mounts. Get under there and see how close the oil filter is to the K-member. If it's touching or real close (ie, you cannot get the filter off without jacking up the engine) then you better change them quick!

livn
10-23-2003, 09:36 PM
another strange thing the cars do when the motor mounts have crapped out is they drop in idle. say your idling at about 800 rpm, the rpms will drop down to about 650 for a second, then go back up.
if your car does this as well as shake, motor mounts are a sure thing

91CaliTBIRD
10-23-2003, 09:36 PM
thanks guys, but i have never heard of oil filled motor mounts and i cant figure out what the purpose is. Assuming they are bad, why would it shake if im rolling the windows down, or when i put it in reverse? Thanks

91CaliTBIRD
10-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Thanks Livn, but the car never changes idle or anything like that. Not that it cant be the motor mounts although im still trying to figure out how that works. One more thing guys, whats a raised top? How much does it cost and what kind of power can i get out of putting one on? Thanks

Motohead
10-23-2003, 10:02 PM
If the car is "Shaking" because you roll down the windows it has to be electerical. I suppose you are pressing on the brake pedal when you turn the wheel or shift gears that will also cause more electrical power drain (Stop lights come on). draws more power engine misses "Shakes" I also just replaced my alternator twice the first new one (From Autozone) had a bad diode the second new one worked. Have autozone check your charging system they can do it curbside and its free. Also charge your battery before installing a new alternator a new alternator will eat itself trying to charge a low battery (Brushes not broke in yet) . Hope this helps

Killer SC
10-23-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by 91CaliTBIRD
Thanks Livn, but the car never changes idle or anything like that. Not that it cant be the motor mounts although im still trying to figure out how that works. One more thing guys, whats a raised top? How much does it cost and what kind of power can i get out of putting one on? Thanks
a raised top is the top of the supercharger (the part that says 3.8) the aftermarket ppl (magnum powers, aswell as some homemades) have raised the stock one 3/4 of an inch to alloy for more air to pass through...it's a popular mod

go to www.magnumpowers.com to check em out

91CaliTBIRD
10-23-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by livn
another strange thing the cars do when the motor mounts have crapped out is they drop in idle. say your idling at about 800 rpm, the rpms will drop down to about 650 for a second, then go back up.
if your car does this as well as shake, motor mounts are a sure thing
Why would the idle change with a broken motor mount?

rivlee
10-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Check the battery also. If the battery as a bad cel(s) it'll force the alternator to work harder. That would also mean that it's going to have to work even harder when you use something like the power window, putting more of a load on the engine. The motor mount "shake" when using the power window could be occuring from that.

Lee

BTW: Measuring the voltage at the battery won't tell you much about the battery condition - surface charge could still be 12-13V. If you measure the battery immediately after starting the car, you should see about 14V across the battery. Anything significantly less is suspect.

CaifanSC
10-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Just a thought...but how long ago has the car had a spark plug/plug wires change? I remember on the 89 the car would sort of shake when moving from a stop and when moving the steering wheel. Thinking about it, the ignition system does move electric signals around your engine. So having a poor ignition affects the efficiency of your engine and fixing it could cure your shaking. I use either motorcraft/autolite double platinum plugs although I've hear marvels about different brands of iridium plugs. And good aftermarket (larger) wires have had mixed reviews, but OEM motorcraft replacements seem to be the best assured replacement over the cheapos from most parts stores.

91CaliTBIRD
10-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Thanks to all that replied, CalifanSC your right i know it can be the ignition being weak not igniting like it should, that makes sense. But all you other guys were right to, one of the mounts is busted. the motor doesnt jump up like alot of other cars with a bad motor mount but i did remember thinking that i felt the motor pop up a few times. Now i confirmed the hood up and a power brake. These oil filled suckers are strange. Anyways the new solids are on there way. Thanks