Power steering problem

BlckOnBlckBrd

I have a huge leak in my power steering somewhere and it's very hard to find. It seems like its spraying from behind the oil filter. It also seems like it's coming from above the rack somewhere. This area seems to be very hard to get to so if someone might have a diagram of all the lines or could point me in the right direction on an easy way to get to it would be appreciated.

TIA

A pretty common failure on these cars is the oil pan rubbing a hole in the power steering hose. This happens when the engine mounts break and the engine falls down a bit then moves around as the car is driven. I bet that is what has happened here. You can also rub a hole in the engine oil pan this way if it is let go long enough.

Check out those engine mounts!

Ok. Thank you, I really think that's what it is because I know my motor mounts are getting bad, but now, can you help me on how to fix it. Like, what do I need to remove to get to it, where the hose is connectec, etc. Thanks.

I'm not sure if I am the best to help, I've never had a power steering problem (I fixed my mounts as soon as I saw they were going bad), so I am not sure where exactly this leak usually occurs.

But you say it is spraying, that sounds like the high pressure line from the pump to the rack. Or it could be one of the hard lines on the rack.

You need to fix those mounts, you will probably find the leak when you do that. If it isn't obvious once you lift the engine up a bit, try dropping the power steering rack.

To fix it you have to replace the line. It runs under the oil pan. One end connected to the pump, the other connected to the steering rack. Not sure why they made it take such a round about path.

Here are some pictures.
power%20steering.jpg

cross%20member.jpg

Thanks for your help, I don't really have time at all to tackle motor mounts now (plus I still have lots of clearance at the oil filter which leads me to believe they're not competely worn out) So maybe someone else will jump in and help out. I'll probably just pull the rack down if no one else will jump in.

This is really bad too cause I got an appointment for a custom exhaust tomorrow morning and my SCP 10% pulley should be in today or tomorrow.

Thanks anyway.

Edit: Thanks a lot for the pictures Mike, That's just what I needed.

I'd love to get a great how-to on this one...

I've searched the web and found stainless steel lines....but need to know what the fitting ends are and how long to buy the line....
This I think is the best solution for the SC....

I wouldn't go to Ford and spend $70 or more for the replacement line....it's in a bad spot and the long term solution is definitely stainless.....and at less than 1/2 the cost.....

I've stared at this shop picture for hours and still can't figure out where to make the 2 disconnects for this line.

For instance...
http://www.bakerprecision.com/earls6.htm

Which size thread is right?....is it the same on both ends?
and how long should the hose be to replace the high pressure side?

FBM1363
JIC Str. Male
5/8 -18
$6.90

FBM1365
JIC Str. Male
3/4-18
$7.50

hey Mike8675309...where did you get that diagram from? As far as I know that comes from the Ford program that the dealerships use. I got one of those from when I used to be stupid and take my 89 for ford when my ABS pressure switch was acting up.

A member posted it with something a while ago, I just saved it off. Mine was leakinig before, but it ended up not being the line. It was the low pressure side and a loose clamp.

I'm not sure of the benefit of stainless steel lines since if the oil pan wouldn't rub on the stockers, they last plenty long. Mine are still good.

Biggest problem is oil pan rubbing on them. Second problem is the teflon washers in the high pressure coupling at the steering rack. Third is the variable orifice valve at the power steering pump.

The benefit of the stainless is that it won't rust...and you can route it in a better place (it is flexible).

Compared to the stock Ford part, this would be infinitely better....

so does anyone know the fitting size and thread at each end?

To get the high pressure line off....exactly what 2 points are you disconnecting?

Rubber hose?

This may be a dumb question but, is it possible to just cut out the bad part of the line and replace it with high pressure rubber hose? If not, do you all think I could fab up a custom line and just get rid of the nasty long path it takes and just shortcut it across if you know what I'm saying. Thanks.

The issue is that you would need to somehow attach the splice using high pressure fittings.

You could have the line replaced by a shop that can make hydraulic lines. But it's cost will likely be close to the same. The p/s pump has a relief pressure of 1380psi. (they would likely make it from flexible composite hose, not steel)

The odd path for the line is likely for a reason, perhaps to increase some capacity of fluid after the pump so it might not be so easy to reroute without some implications on performance.

You can't use rubber, the high pressure will burst it in under a second.

As a cheap fix you could cut out the section thats leaking and put in a length of hydraulic brake tubing and some high compression fittings. I used a small, (it's about 1-1/2 inch long) mini tube cutter to cut the lines. Then I spliced in approx. 8" of new line using the high compression fittings. The squiggly section of line in the picture above was the piece that I cut out of mine. I chose a location to cut the lines where I knew I could reach them with my hands, taking in mind that I also had to tighten them with a couple of wrenches. I also used some nylon ties to pull the new section of tubing away from the oil filter so that it did not rub and make a hole in it.
I did that with my '89 and it lasted for over 8 years.
Just make sure you tighten the fittings as tight as you possibly can. The first time I put them on they I didn't tork them enough, and they leaked a little, so I had to crawl under there again and do it over. (Had to change the oil twice in one day).

Last edited:
I'm going to go with the splice just to get the car back on the road....
I have no problem with splices...I've spliced plenty brakes and power steering lines before.

What I've found is all you do is use some fine grit and avoid any lengthwise motion....do a circular pattern around the area where the couple will go....I've never had one leak yet....

but please....(I'm on my hands and knees)....tell me the places in the picture where you did the splice.....

I can't figure out the routing...I look at the shop picture and it seems to be different than the real life picture....is the line inside that flex plastic?

If you can tell me the 2 points where you spliced I can get this done....thanks....

Don't know if this will help. But when I did mine the leak was located right near the oil filter. The engine had rubbed a flat spot on the power steering line. When you have your oil filter off you should be able to see where the power steering line is jammed between the engine and the cross member. The flat spot on mine was located on the engine side of the line. That's the section I cut out.

Back