I HATE it when this happens!!

FOH

I HATE it when this happens!! UPDATED WITH EXHAUST PICTURES!!

I backed my 95 SC 5-speed out of the garage and shut it off. 5 min. later I try to start it and nothing. I noticed I didn't hear the fuel pump when I hit the key, so I put a gauge on the fuel rail and sure enough no pressure. That was three days ago and I have tried it several times since and it has never worked again. So I push it back in the garage and start pulling the tank. I get the tank down, and before I pull the pump wires off, I hook a voltmeter to it just to make sure I am getting voltage to it. I hit the key and hear the familiar sound of a fuel pump running!!!

I HATE intermittent problems!!! I'm sure I will go ahead and change the pump since I have it apart and it is old, BUT I will always wonder if there is a bad/loose wire!!!

O.K. I feel better, I've vented :) , now the question, I looked through past topics on fuel pumps and it seems like the 190 is plenty big enough for all but the wildest motors. Is that right?? I haven't done any mods yet, but I plan on exhaust, double intercooler, raised top, intake, MAF, tuning, etc, etc. No internal mods are planned, (for now anyway) ;)

Also from what I have read in the past threads, Auto Performance Engineering is a good place to buy?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Here is a coulpe of pictures I took recently. Hope you like!!

95scnow.jpg

95scback.jpg

95scfront.jpg

Last edited:
nice ride

yo your car is clean!!!

for a couple bucks more go with 255lph it will not hurt anything
thenif you get a wild engine you don't have to pull the tank again

do it right and do it once don't pussy foot around the bush it burn you in the end

Ron at Auto Perf. Engineering probably has the best prices on the Walbro pumps. A bunch of us up here in Ontario have done business with him, great guy to deal with.

I'd agree with the suggestion to spend a few more $$ on the 255L pump, that way you've done it once, you shouldn't have to upgrade it again later if you do more mods to the car. :)

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

You didn't check the fuel pump cutoff switch in the trunk, did you? It sounds like your car may have been bumped, etc, causing the fuel pump cutoff switch to switch off the power to the fuel pump. All you have to do to reset it is push the red button on the top of it.

I've had this happen a few times before.

-Rod

Yep...great looking car. I would also like to know where you can get a hood like that. It's about the only one I really like!

Thanks for all the compliments!!! :)

SCPilot: I got the hood from Cervinis. They only make it for the 89-93 birds so you have to modify it. I cut the front of the hood off just past the scoops and remolded it to fit the 96 front end I put on. A lot of people just change the headlight openings to match, but the slope of the hood is also different. From the side it won't look right unless you reshape it all the way back to the scoops.

shmeeman: Thanks for the input!!

tbirdsc357: Not as well as the older style bumper, and I had one already so I put it on. But I liked the newer style front. Dumb maybe, but I like it. ;)

fast Ed N: Also thanks for the input!!

racecougar: Thanks for the heads up, but I did remember to check it. It was fine.

ThunderCoupe94: Thanks for the compliment!!

RustyUL: See above!!!

Does everyone else agree on the 255 pump?? Most of the past threads I found said to go with the 190??????

THANKS!!

Last edited:
For sure go with the 255. You have a regulator and it will not hurt anything like they said above. I saved a couple of bucks thiking I would never need one and guess what?
So I learned the hard way. Hope this helps
Tim

New exhaust after the fuel pump!

I got the new fuel pump put in and it works great. So while I had the exhaust off, I decided to replace it. BIG difference in the way it runs!! Not any noticeable difference off the line, but the top end is killer!! It pulls hard past 120mph (I had to let off, I was running out of road!!). There is a VERY noticeable difference between 2500 and 5000 RPM.

Anyway I thought you might want to see a few pics. The exhaust is all 2.5 in. pipe and comes straight off of the manifolds to a X pipe then true duels to the back to two 18 in. turbo mufflers then turns down in the original position. No cats or resonator.

AND HERE IS THE BEST PART!!---- The whole thing, 2.5 in. duel pipe front to back, mufflers, labor, all new and custom made (x-pipe and all) ---- LESS than $300 !!!! And the guy apologized for being so expensive and taking so long (one day!!).

pc120002a.jpg

pc120003a.jpg

pc120005a.jpg

lucky! i got a price on a similar set up for my car at $700 that was with cats and down tubes that i was going to supply they only had to put them on!

I had a similar fuel pump problem on my taurus. It would work just about long enough to get you stuck out somewhere and then after a while it would start working again. I put on a new pump been fine ever since. I took the old one aprt and everthing inside looked to be worn completely out and that was at 175000 miles though.

Back