Sc engine

It depends a lot on what is included. It might be OK if the supercharger and everything are part of the deal.

The one in my 89 SC came out of a 90, with about 60K miles about 6 years ago for $1000....so that's about right.

Here in Jersey they are difficult to come by, there are only a few in local junk yards....

You could get a cheaper SC whole possibly....but with more miles on the motor. What you got was well worth the price.....

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the 94/95 sc's have a slightly stronger bottom end. I know the crank and block are the same, but didn't the pistons/rods get a slight upgrade. I could swear i've head this discussion before, or maybe it's all this lack of sleep. But usually any car in it's last production year gets the best tweaks. Always gotta go out with a bang.

Yes, various internal improvements, much better head gasket situation after 93....less oil foaming....

My experience (6SCs) is with the "generation 1" motors.....don't know about high horsepower reliability....but s the motor up to say 300hp can be beat to crap day in and day out....which I've done now from about 60K to 140K on the motor....

This is one reliable engine....I originally read that it passed Ford's 1000 hour toture test...where the old 5.0 didn't.

Ignoring the other annoyances of the SC...you gotta love the motor....

SC ENGINE

Any idea what I would have to change to put that 95 sc engine into my 95 mustang.I keep getting mixed answers lol.I really wanna do it and I found the engine but before I buy it I wanna make sure I aint getting myself in a ******** of stuff

vettewars said:
Yes, various internal improvements, much better head gasket situation after 93....less oil foaming....

My experience (6SCs) is with the "generation 1" motors.....don't know about high horsepower reliability....but s the motor up to say 300hp can be beat to crap day in and day out....which I've done now from about 60K to 140K on the motor....

This is one reliable engine....I originally read that it passed Ford's 1000 hour toture test...where the old 5.0 didn't.

Ignoring the other annoyances of the SC...you gotta love the motor....

I can't speak for the SC because my 90 only has 70,000 miles on it but my stock TBIRD I just sold for $400.00 had 185,000 miles on it and the motor was still running strong although it did have the infamous oil drip.

the late motors came with a factory windage tray, full floating wrist pins, improved blower, and higher compression. there is probably more.

There really isn't a significant difference in the newer motors. Yes they did change some things to improve them, but there was never a durability problem in the first place. And no, the headgaskets aren't any better. In fact they were recalled (sort of).

That price is kinda high. You can buy a whole car for less than that. You will need all the wiring and the EEC for the SC motor. Just something to keep in mind.

I gotta jump in here I blew my 100,000 mile bottom end up last week I am considering the 4.2 stroker moter from Morana $3,500.00(OUCH!!) dose anyone know how much HP a stock bottom end is good for? I've herd I can get a ford unit for $1,600.00 and its got a 2 year warrenty. With all my current goodies and the steg heads and cam Im going to get i should be around 360RWHP I'll problly NOS that up to my goal of 400RWHP can a stock bottom end take that?? if so how many times??

The # I've seen floated around was 350.

That was from someone with experience I'd trust and was stated as a point of reliablity. I'm sure you could pump more through there, but how many times is the question.

Lee

XR7 Dave said:
And no, the headgaskets aren't any better. In fact they were recalled (sort of).

Actually, the head gaskets of the 94-95s are improved. They didn't sorta recall the 93 and older cars because they were already 7+ years old when the 94-95 warranty extension was announced. And actually, all Felpro head gaskets for the SC are the 94-95 design. The 89-93 gasket has been discontinued by Felpro and replaced with the newer one. :)

BTW Dave, are there any 'end of season' test 'n tune events left in the area? Quaker City or Norwalk running?

Motohead,

I am pressing about 350+ to the wheel on a stock bottom end without an issue. I plan on adding about 100hp of sauce; again without an issue. That's probably a silly outlook, but I'm trying to stay positive. Remember I said "plan...without an issue". I bought the 3.8 stock bottom end from Ford. 3-year warranty. If I blow it up, I swap the cam out & give it back for a new one. But make sure your local Ford dealer is cool & plan on doing that swap yourself if it blows. .. My opinion based on experience says that the stock bottom end will hold up just fine. Maybe not for 100k miles of whooping, but that is just an opinion. It could suprise me and take everything I throw at it. ... Now I expect to be replacing head gaskets a couple times a year. But thats not a big deal & to me it's worth the trade off. Because I am far from nice to my car.

Just to reiterate: Taking that nitrous is just a theory that I believe will work for the bottom end. You will hear about problems people have when putting big RWHP & the parts that break. Welp, we all break parts. Some break everything (I'm almost there). But you have to be willing to deal with everything that comes up & take it as if it were any used car with quirks. Good Luck & I hope your decision works for you & I always hope people save lots of money & put it into more parts!

Anthony

Steve, I'm going to go to Philly on the 1st. We plan on running at Maple Grove Saturday morning. Very sticky track, low altitude, and some cool weather should make for some quick times. :D

Tonight was Norwalk's last TnT of the year, Quaker is done, Thompson has the last race of the season on Sunday and then will run TnT until snow or rain flys on Sundays 9am thoughout November.

Plan on the 1st at Maple Grove. It will be fun!

Back