Are most ECC PCM modules the same?

notsofine89

I'm presently negotiating the purchase of an ECC or PCM module for my 5-speed 1989 SC. Part is no longer available from FORD, so I'm hitting the junkyards. Question: Are the units for the 5 speed and the Automatic transmission the same? Ford dealer insists they're different...and that you HAVE to get the one specific to the car. Do these interchange well between years? (90,91,92?). Someone told me they are the same part, but are programmed differently. Is this true? Man, I miss the days when all you had to mess with was just has a distributor, a coil, and points.....

Most of the EECs are not interchangeable. Many pins changed places over the years. Also, the calibrations are different from year to year and for different trannies.

The 89 had the cruise control on the EEC and that was later moved to a separate control and relay. You would need a EVTM manual to tell which ones could be interchanged. The 89-91 might be close, but you would still need to evaluate the wiring to know for certain.

I think Duffy mentioned on your prior post that SIA (found on the SCCoA links page) offers rebuilt units. They may even offer SCCoA members a discount. Some auto parts stores may offer rebuilt units as well.

Back