Tranny Torker

Motohead

SCCoA Member
How much tork/HP can our AODs take I am going for around 400 RWHP and wonder what I will have to do to my AOD to take the "heat"

I'm hoping to pull 300+ on mine.

I had the tranny rebuilt with a hardened input shaft (a must), Lentech VB, HD drum & clutches and other upgraded parts in the gearing section. That's supposed to be good for 400-450hp at the input shaft.

A lot of people say any more than that, you should go with a C3.

Lee

yep lets not forget the old MR OIL COOLER.
can really help. It works very very nice on mine.
You should pick one up.

A lot of people say any more than that, you should go with a C3
Lentech has AOD's rated to 1200hp or more. There is a Mustang on their customer page that runs 8.26 @ 161 mph! I'm pretty sure they could handle anything the SC could put out. It might not be as cost-effective as a C3, I don't know. The AOD is an expensive transmission.

hey hey..

you know whats kool about my AOD.

that ever since that dude added that SHIFT KIT and i added that OIL COOLER. My car burns out when u punch it and it shifts gears.
Every time it shifts gears it burns out. But its only when u punch it.

Motohead,

I bought a Lentech VB, non locking converter, cast pan and hardened inner shaft and then had Mark Twain Transmissions on St. Charles Rock Road rebuild mine with using that stuff and their performance package. It included extra clutches, kevlar OD band and some other stuff I can't remember. They said it was good for more than 600 HP.

If doing it again, I'd just buy the complete transmission from Lentech. And yes...you need more cooling. I'm using a pair of 24K GVW B&M coolers bolted back to back with an 800 cfm fan.

Where in St. Louis do you live ? I'm in St. Charles.

David

Last edited:
Dave I'm in Ferguson but the "Shop" is in Hazelwood by Bigfoot 4X4 were you referring to the Street Terminator Plus? I have been in many Chevy TH400s before and I’m thinking about doing this one myself.

I also saw on their sight they have master rebuild kits stronger input shafts and a lot of other goodies I'm going to have to decide if I just want to drop the cash for a whole unit or go for it. My last experience with an auto went very well I ran that trans behind a moded 454 with nos for two seasons and it was still strong when I sold the car

Back