Stock Clutch and Flywheel Weight

plev72

Hey guys, I just got my Spec Stage III Clutch and ALU flywheel in the mail. When I get up to Phoenix tonight I'll find out how much it weighs. It feels heavy to me, but I have no frame of reference.

I read on the board that the Spec Alu Flywheel is supposed to be 11.9 pounds versus 35+ for stock. Anyone know how much the stock clutch weighs??

Thanks,
Paul

I weighed my clutch, pp, and flywheel on my crappy bathroom scale and came up with about 60lbs. So that would put the clutch portion at about 25lbs.

Weighed my stock flywheel when I put my Spec on and it came in around 34 lbs. The Spec weighed in at 11.8 lbs on my scale. You'll enjoy the mod. The first gear stab is incredible.

Brandon

Weighed it and got 43.5 pounds (shipping weight) for the Spec Stage III (lightened) and Spec Alu Flywheel

Guess that is about right, the Spec guy wrote me that there should be a 16lb weight savings... guess the Stage III is heavier than the stock clutch?

Paul

I just realized that you have a 94. That clutch and PP is even bigger than the 90 that I have. Probably add another 5lbs or so. I assume your SPEC is 11.5"?

you should of got a 11" spec clutch, i called spec and centerforce about it before, and i wanted to get the best one, they both told me the cmaller 11" would be better, because i was going to get the 11.5" but they told me not to, so i went with the 11" Spec Stage 3 Clutch Kit Lightened Pressure Plate and the Spec Aluminum Flywheel threw SCP.. hey did your flywheel bolts clear in your flywheel ? i went and bought new bolts because they didnt clear the flywheel hole, i just went to the hardware store and bought full threaded hex head bolts grade 8 and installed them, then i told bill at SCP about it and he said they should of made the whole big enough so the stock bolts will fit back on, but i guess they didnt, wondering if yours did, come to fins out i called jeggs tech support on if they sold ARP flywheel bolts, they have some universal ones ford/chevy ones, then i explained that i put in grade 8 ones and put my car back to gether with my older brother (my mechanic) and jeggs tech support said to hold they talked to some other tech guy and he cam back and said i have a step up from stock bolts (Grade 8 ones i just bought), the reason i looked into the bolts i used is because bill at SCP wasnt sure if the bolts i bought would be good enough so i wanted to confirm that before i used my car again.got me worreid... wonder if maybe the flywheels holes werent that big or they where messed up, or i got one that didnt fit ? all i had a problem with was the non thread part, the top of the bolt to clear the holes... I'd like to hear about your Install on it.. Thanks Alex LaChance

Hey Alex, the guy from Spec said that the Stage III lightened should be about 3 pounds less than stock. I don't have mine installed yet as I am still (after... 7 months???) collecting parts for the rebuild... almost done.

Paul

can u test your stock Flywheel bolts to see if they will fit fully flush on the flywheel with them threw the holes, mine didnt, i think it was a porblem with Spec not making thew hole big enough to clear the smooth spot towards the top.. unless they just screwed up on mine, but also i'd get the ARP flywheel bolts (jegs said they had them universal for chevy/ford )i guess your supposed to change them everytime you take them out ? i'd like to hear about others Flywheel bolts if they fit or not....also i went with the lightned pressure plate because someone at TBSCEC.com told me to get it because they said they bought one and didnt know about the lightning and they said the stock PP was a little lighter than the Spec...thats why i went with the lighting.. clutch pedal is firm now, and its either in or out, i love it... i also just got my tranny rebuilt, new slave cyclinder, solid rubber motor mounts in, put the aluminum inland empire driveshaft all at the same time .... Alex LaChance

Alex, I had the same problem when I put my SPEC aluminum flywheel on. The stock flywheel bolts would only go in the holes up until where the threads stopped and the rest of the bolt was hardened at the top. I got the damn thing all set up there and couldn't bolt it down.

Brandon

I had a aluminum plate put in my turbo coupe. It made a big differents.
But I did it at the same time as I did a rebuild on the motor.AND I had
the complete clutch assembly balanced with the crank,& ect.

Are you guys just zero balancing the clutch unit and installing.

Pelv72 ,If you are going though your motor you will have the best setup.
IF you balance the clutch pack with the rest of your parts.Than these other guy's
have, adding these parts later.

RANDY

"plev72 " - check your bolts, i bet your flywheel will have the same problem as mine, i have 2 things below you can do...

" 6pak2go " you can either do 2 things,
1 - give it back to Spec or call Bill (i already told him abnout the problem, he said no one else told him anything and he gave Spec a bolt so it shoulf of fit) at SCP and ask him you need it redrilled to the right size, and i'd get the ARP bolts from summit or jeggs..
2 - go to a local harware store and buy grade 8 bolts fully threaded with no flat spot towards the top, like i did, jeggs tech support said they would be a step up from our stock bolts (the grade 8 ones from my local harware store) ..

what did u do ?? or are you waiting to fix this ?

"Randy N Connie" - the Spec flywheel from SCP for our SC's are nutreally balanced, just bolt it all in, thats what i did...

Alex Lachance

aluminum flywheel

dont mean to hijack the thread here, but with the aluminum flywheel will i have to "ride" the clutch a little to get it going up hills from a stop? i live in colorado springs we have a lot of hills here...just wondering if i should stick with the stock flywheel till i get to some level ground or what...

thanks

stephen

Randy N Connie: True True....i hate snow...I bust my @ss everytime i walk out the door when it snows...but lets just say that there was no snow...ever in colorado...would i need to ride the clutch, just because of the weight difference between the two flywheels?

PS even tho i bust my @ss in the snow, doesnt mean i dont have fun...i love kicken up 10ft rooster tails....although nothing was better than the near 30ft tails kicked up by my 30hp 59 baja bug with 32" mud tires....

stephen

SPEC alum flywheel vs. OEM

I put a SPEC alum flywheel in my '89 XR-7. Mechanic said the holes in the flywheel were to small. Sure enough, the SPEC holes were .407", the OEM holes were .450".

I called SPEC on this & they said, "Just drill'em out"!!!!!!!!!!! I said "NFW, If I fruck it up, I have $800 worth of useless alum." "I paid for a machined flywheel that will fit, that's what I want" They told me that the .407" was for a Mustang, & the .450" was for a Supercoupe. They sent me a new (correct) flywheel & a return auth. for the bad one.

At first I thought that the machinist just forgot to change the drill bit, when he drilled MY flywheel. Sounds like this is a wide spread problem with SPEC flywheels.

68COUGAR

Back