my 1/4 mile times

aitkenstyle

first time ever at the track. the car is an 89 auto with 103k on it.
times:

First run went 16.21

second went 15.55

I was extremely excited about the 15.5

cant wait to go next year casue the track is closed tonight was the last night.

yea when i went to the tracks a while back my 92 Sc with some mods did a 15 the 1st time and then i got mid 14's the rest. You can really feel the power of the Sc, and you can hear the supercharger jus roarin. Its Great. I love Jus destroying Ricers. it aint no thanggg

Just Wondering . . . what IS 'fast' ?

I have always driven American Muscle Cars, from Boss Mustangs to AMXs. Average 1/4 mile speed on these is 14-flat in stock form.
My current ride is an '89 V6 TBird, NOT a SC, and every RICER, SUV and Durango is on my bumper on the onramp because this thing has NO power. IF I move to a SC, is the BEST I can hope for a pathetic 15-second machine? Or, all things being relevant, is that Silverado on my tail just an 18-second screamer, and I WILL be able to pull away from him? Anybody know what the typical Camero or Firebird turns these days?
Ahhhhhh . . for the days of an SS 396 on the road! :(

A 15.5 sec 1/4 time by all means is not slow. Back in the day when these were introduced, it was a very fast car by the standards of the time. Nowadays, as technology advances, cars get faster.

The average LT-1 Camaro, (1993-1997 Z-28s and SS's), will run mid to low 14 sec 1/4s.

The average LS-1 Camaro, (1998-2002 Z-28s and SS's), will run mid to high 13 sec 1/4s.

I don't know about the newer Mustang's, maybe someone else will chime in, but your average stock SC can still smoke probably 60-70% of the cars around you.

Atleast here in Topeka, KS that's how it is for me.

the sc is not slow its just that a 3.8 non sc is very slow compared to the sc i had one my self and they just cant compare, i also have a 4.6 with exsaust and K&N filtercharger and my stock sc is way faster its just the 3.8 is just very slow

the SC "pathetic".....well not in my book mid 15's stock out of a six pushing 4klbs????"not to shabby" but overall i did not purchase the SC to rip on every vehicle at every stoplight known to man or fly down the 1/4 every weekend. I enjoy the plush leather interior the smooth ride and how the car handles the curves and twisties. If your looking for a cheap 1/4m machine i would suggest another vehicle. To properly outfit the SC to take the dragstrip reliably it will cost $$$$ personally i think these machines should be pampered from conditioning the leather religously to synthetic fluids "monthly"lol....so if u want cheap fun go for something else.

"pathetic" was a BAD choice of words

I meant the TIME seemed slow, not the car. The above post says as Technology advances, cars get faster. Not so !
Think : 1969 Roadrunner - 1973 Cuda - 1972 Buick GS Stage1
and this is with 30-year-old-Technology! I am not a 1/4 mile race-freak, but that is the only way to MEASURE how our cars are doing. Anybody can take a car and drop a TON of money into it to make it go fast. I love my TBird, but I am SICK of everyone on the onramps riding my bumper because Ford's "powerful-V6" can't get up to speed. Oh yeah, and now with pedal-to-the-metal the air-conditioning cuts off while the engine is straining.
I dunno . . . do other car clubs have a Technical Forum Site to help members deal with the zillions of problems that are inherant to the car? MANY times I have seen people post "ABS acts weird - UNABLE to determine why" with no helpful answer. I have surveyed PepBoys, Autozone, Checker, and even the local DEALER for help in working on the SC. Pioneer Ford admitted they had never even seen one before, and most of the other mechanics told me "Nawww, ya gotta be oneo'them Computer Geeniusis to work on that baby!" Sheesh! :( :confused:

i have owned a N/A bird also "powerfull" as in tire smoking fury it was not however it was never engineered to be a boulevard burner it had its luxuries like AC/full power etc etc. it was massed produced cause of its economical v6 .... i however spent a pretty penny on my N/A before i realized it was never going to perform how i wanted to . as far as the AC shutting off on your vehicle I dunno i know some SC's shut the AC off automatically at WOT ,the base and LX models may have the same feature......as far as the SC being an electrical nightmare yes and no , yes i have heard many stories but no it hasn't happened to me........yet (fingers crossed) the abs with these cars is often viewed as over engineered with to many damn sensors and wut not ,i really don't trust any mechanic to work on my vehicle all maintence i do and if the hgs go and they will i will pull it and overhaul......because i enjoy this vehicle so much and IMO its timeless lines. to some people it sounds like a waste of time and $$$

the super coup reminds me of the old big block cars. roll down the street at 10 mph, tromp it and breakem loose and slide to the right.

Back