Cooling Fan wired to ignition?

mikey'sSC

I have just replaced the head gaskets, BECAUSE my fan woudnt run when im stopped or even when i turn on the ac on, nothing...... So my fan is good, ive checked it by running it right from the battery, I need some help figuring out how i can wire it to the ignition or the accsesories and were the best place to do it, just to run it when the key is on. I could do it the easy way and put a manual switch in and mount it on the dash next to the ignition key BUT that would be annoying and look like crap, I dont think that having the fan on all the time when driving would hurt anything, just keep it running cooler, i would like to avoid any oveheating problems.

checked the fuses

for power ? I'm not to big on hot wiring the fan...unless it is a power supply problem ...from the relay ...because if it is a ect [engine coolant temperature sensor] failure ..then fuel/air mix is going to be all screwed up ..so for starters.. there is a black lead ..that runs off the starter relay [on the fender left side by battery] runs into a long black connector ..with a yellow lead out..
the long black connector is a fuse ...that yellow lead ..runs to a 30 amp high current fuse ..in the high current fuse box ...right by the battery and starter relay.. then changes to 2 black and orange striped wires over to the Ircm {Interrated relay control module} on right hand behind head lite on the rad support ...first I would check the connection to the IRCM 1 10mm bolt ..it's not uncommom for them becoming loose ..after that check for power on that curcit ...key on ....if you have power there @ the IRCM..disconnect the fan plug and use a test light or ohm meter and check the black wire [ground] ..back to the IRCM make sure it is grounding ...to complete the curcit ...dave

PS what year is your car ?

Last edited:
I have a black 90 5spd, i changed the ect along with the thermostat when i had the engine apart, i also noticed that my heater is bypassed because the heater core is bad, the hose next to the ect coming from the intake manifold is plugged as well as the one from the bottom of the waterpump, it was like that when i bought the car 3 years ago, im saving the heatercore job for a rainy day, Anyway i checked power on the connections on the harness side of the fan wires and there showing that there all getting power like they should, ive also checked out all the fuses and there all fine.

My fan wont run or turn on like it should even when the car is heating up. The plug that comes out of the harness is in bad shape and wont connect right any longer, I need to wire it independently to the ignition so that my car has a working cooling fan.

THis car has a big list of other problems,the abs hard pedal thing,i got hit in the passenger side door and its stuck shut with a broken window,my tach sputters and moves up and down when the window is rolled up!

Other than that stuff it runs strong

Back