Super Charger Fluid? Where?

Stevie_B_SC

I hear there's fluid in the super charger that I ought to check regularly. Or is this like the blinker fluid? Can anyone confirm this and, more importantly, how I go about checking it?

thanks!

The supercharger has a special lubricant in it designed to work in a high heat and high pressure environment. It is available from both Ford and GM Dealers as they both use the Eaton supercharger in their cars.

Purchased from them it comes in 4oz containers and costs nearly $15.00 at Ford, and about $7.00 at GM.

Alternatively you can use something that some rebuilders of the supercharger place in it, which is a Turbine Oil used in Aircraft. You can pickup a quart of the the 2380 Turbine Oil from any regional airport for about $10.00.

The lubricant itself is not supposed to ever need to be replaced. But you should regularly check the level at the 30k services. There are a few seals that if they fail, the fluid will be forced out of the supercharger. And if that happens, the bearings in the supercharger can fail quickly.

There is a plug on the front of the supercharger just to the right of the snout. With that plug removed the fluid level should be just below the seat of the plug. When you remove the plug, do so slowly and make sure you have the right tool. It can come out pretty hard and when it comes out, some stored pressure in the SC might blow a little oil out.

Back