mileage stopped working

GREATWHITE666

Damn it. mileage just stopped working,, have no clue why. the trip mileage and actual car mileage both do not work. is there anythign i can do here? any help please... i dont want to drive my car very much if the miles arent working. car has just over 77K on it... thanks for any help--
-Damon

There is a sticker inside the speedo that sometimes comes loose and gets caught in the gears. Either that or one of the drive gears may have broken. That happened to me. I was able to replace the motor and gear (very carefully!) so I could keep my original odometer in tact. Good luck. :)

when u guys say speedo, are u talking about the whole thing? all the gauges? it's just the odometer that is not working, when u say there is a sticker inside... that confuses me. must i take off the whole dash to do this? i dont trust myself to do that. i was looking behind the dash from underneath by the pedals, i see a bunch of wires, i had no idea what went to what, is it possible to maybe reach something from there?
-Damon

and 89SCK@t, no thanks. :D

Damon, the dash and gauges are a TOTAL nightmare to pull out! Don't attempt it without your shrink, lawyer and priest present!

Now that I've scared you;

It's actually pretty easy. I've never done a 95, but the process should be similar to the older SC's. a couple of screws in the dash bezel cover, andyou can pull it off. then, im sure there are several screws holding the gauge cluster in there.

I suggest a good manual for the SC, like haynes or Chilton's. They have instructions on how to do it. Alternately, you may search the forums for instructions.

Newer sc is a pain to get the dash out. Just pulled mine on friday. Instrunctions...

Remove 3 8mm bolts on lower panel, pull panel off. Clips are on upper part of panel, so use caution. Remove 4 phillips screws holding on the dash panel. Remove two screws under top side of dash trim. Pry panel off carefully. Getting it out if you have the key release switch can be a challenge. There is some flex to the dash, but use commom sense here. Once that is out, remove 4 screws holding in gauge cluster. Jiggle/wobble/tilt cluster out and forward and remove 2 electrical connectors and boost gauge line.
This is time consuming and nerve wracking the first time, so reccomended doing removal with a balls out attitude.

Hope this helps. And no, there's no way to acces the cluster from behind without removing it. Best of luck, Alyn.

Ditto what Pearl95SC said

I replaced my odometer on my 94 a couple months ago. Taking it apart isn't the hard part. For me the most difficult part of whole job is reinstalling the part of the dash that surrounds the instrument cluster. Thought I was going to have to disassemble entire steering column. Biggest problem is getting the aforementioned dash part back over the ignition switch and the steering wheel lock release switch. I almost gave up. I gave it a rest and tried later and was able to CAREFULLY squeeze that dash part back in. Pay close attention to how you remove the part of the dash that surrounds the instrument cluster. Good luck.

Back